13 Scared

As the door slammed into the lock behind me, I began to sob. With trembling fingers I locked it. My heart was beating so fast that it scared me. It was all too much right now. Never in my life would I have expected such behavior from Damian. Normally he was kind and calm. So this shook me to the core. I mean, how could he just attack someone without any warning? 

"Y/N, please, open the door! Let's talk about this." I heard Damian plead on the other side of the door.

"No. Go away. You should cool off for now. I... I can't talk to you right now. Leave me alone." I said, walking further away from the door.

"I can't just leave like this. We need to talk about this. I'm so sorry." he replied in a shaky voice.

"I need time. You scared me, Damian. A lot, actually. Not to mention what must have been going through poor Kevin's mind." I called back to him.

I took a few deep breaths to calm myself down. This was definitely not good for the baby. One of my hands stroked the spot on my bump where I could feel the little guy's movements. He seemed just as agitated as I was.

"I'm so infinitely sorry. I'll give you time. Please, please don't shut me out! You know how important you and Mateo are to me," he said so quietly that I could barely understand him.

"I... I'll call you. Now leave, please," I replied as tears ran down my cheeks.

It took a moment, but then I heard his footsteps moving away from the door. I sighed out in relief. It was hard for me to process what had happened here today, but I had to admit one thing to myself. I was suddenly scared of Damian. And that was anything but good.

A few minutes later I made myself a cup of tea and then sat down on the couch in the living room. My hands were still shaking when I picked up the phone and dialed. It rang for quite a while until I heard a voice.

"Hey." said Kevin simply.

"Kevin, are you okay? I'm so sorry. I don't know what got into him," I apologized immediately.

"I assume that was your baby's father?" he asked.

"Yes, it was. And I really can't tell you how sorry I am. I've never seen him like that before. And it scared the hell out of me. Are you okay?" I quickly replied.

"I'm fine, Y/N. Please calm down. I know you're worried, but it probably looked worse than it was." he tried to reassure me.

"Still, he attacked you. No matter how bad it might have been. Damian had no right to do that." I said as I started biting my nails.

"You're right, and I don't want to defend him for what he did. But I can guess why he did it," Kevin said.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well. He had no idea who I was. Can you imagine the way our goodbye must have looked to him? We hugged tightly and I pressed a kiss to your belly... I can imagine that any outsider would have gotten the wrong impression," he explained to me.

"That all makes sense, but he could have said something first. But no, he jumped straight to a conclusion," I countered.

"Yeah, gosh. He's just a hothead. He felt threatened. I'm sure there are plenty of men who would have reacted the same way. He was trying to protect his family. Personally, I don't blame him," he replied.

"But it still shook me to my core, Kevin. What am I going to do now?" I wanted to know.

"Well, you're having a baby with him. That means you have to find a way to forgive him. After all, you can't avoid him forever. Think about your son, Y/N." said Kevin.

After we finished our phone call, I spent the rest of the day thinking about what to do now. And honestly, I didn't have the slightest idea.