7 Determination

The door had barely fallen into the lock when I gave free rein to my feelings. Hot tears ran down my cheeks and sobs shook my whole body. I really tried to pull myself together, but at that moment I no longer succeeded. I was just grateful that I hadn't burst into tears in front of Damian. The last thing I wanted was for him to think I was trying to get him to decide to be there for the baby through pity.

It was a decision he had to make all by himself and of his own free will. I could not help him. And I certainly didn't want him to feel pressured. Who knows how he would have reacted then. Deep inside me I heard a voice telling me that he had to find his own way. No matter how this way might look.

And I also knew that I was strong and I could handle this situation alone. I had already managed other things. And that would be the case now, too. My baby wouldn't miss anything. Well, except maybe a father figure. But for that, too, a solution would eventually be found. At least that's what I told myself to comfort myself a little.

"Y/N? Are you okay? Did something happen?" I suddenly heard Heather ask behind me.

I quickly blew my nose and wiped the tears from my cheeks before turning to her.

"Yeah, everything's fine. Just my allergies. Don't worry about it. But thanks for asking. Would it be possible for you to make a quick trip to the drugstore and stock up on our products? You guys don't seem to have done that lately. And I don't think we'll get very far with the leftovers. Here, I wrote a list," I replied and then quickly changed the subject.

"Oh yeah, we just didn't have time. I'll take care of it right away. Can I get you anything else?" she then wanted to know.

"No thanks. I don't need anything." I said. Nothing you could give me anyway, I thought to myself.

"I'll be quick," she said, and then she was gone.

Now I was alone again with my thoughts and feelings. My hand went to my belly and I sighed as the tears ran down my cheeks once again.

"Don't worry, baby. You've got me. We're going to be a great team. You and me against the rest of the world," I whispered.

"The three of us against the rest of the world." a deep voice behind me corrected me.

I turned around and saw that Damian had come back.

"What do you mean?" I asked quietly.

"I'm not going to let you do this alone, Y/N. I am a part of this. You are carrying a part of me inside of you. And I don't want to have to regret not being there from the beginning. I'm scared as hell, but... but I'm not going to abandon my child. So whatever you need, you can count on me," he replied in a firm and very determined voice.

Now the dam finally broke. I covered my face with my hands and cried. In relief, probably. But my feelings were all over the place.

Suddenly I was embraced by strong arms that pulled me tightly to his chest. One hand stroked my head soothingly while I cried against his chest. Without saying a word he held me tight and I let it all out.

"I'm scared." I admitted in a whisper.

"Me too, but we'll figure it out. I promise. The little one will have a mother and a father." Damian assured me and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

He sounded so sure of himself. The determination was noticeable and so I didn't doubt his word in the least. I didn't know how or why he was suddenly so sure. But I was grateful for it. It took a weight off my shoulders and let me breathe more freely.