9 Waiting

The more time passed the more impatient I became. I nervously walked up and down in my living room as I waited for the doorbell to finally ring. My hands stroked more or less consciously over my growing baby bump.

By now I was in the 17th week. Last week I went to the ultrasound to find out the sex of the little bean. But since Damian had no time to accompany me that day, we decided that the doctor writes the gender on a piece of paper and then put it in a sealed envelope.

It took a lot of willpower on my part not to open the envelope right away, but I knew it wouldn't be fair to Damian. So I immediately took the envelope to a nearby bakery and ordered a cake. The pastry chef was supposed to fill it with blue or pink buttercream.

This one week of waiting to finally know if my baby was a boy or a girl was probably the longest of my life. So now I was waiting for Damian to arrive with the cake.

He wanted to pick it up after his workout and then come to me right away. Just like me, he could hardly wait to find out what we were having.

Then the doorbell finally rang. I impatiently yanked it open and pulled Damian in by the hand.

"You took forever!" I exclaimed.

"I know, I know. They hadn't wrapped it yet. That's why I had to wait. But hello there, Y/N." he explained with a grin.

"Hi, Damian. Come on in. I'm dying of curiosity and hunger!" I replied, dragging him behind me into the living room where I had already prepared everything.

"I hope you didn't peek," I giggled as we sat down on the couch.

"Of course I didn't. But it was very tempting. I'll admit that." he replied as he carefully took the cake out of the box.

"Here's the knife. Will you do the honors?" I asked as I handed him the knife.

"I'd love to. Ready?" he wanted to know. I nodded, unable to find the right words.

Damian took a deep breath, then cut into the cake. When he pulled out a piece, bright blue buttercream appeared. We're going to have a boy.

"Oh my God!" I gasped with tears in my eyes.

"You were right, Y/N. This is awesome." said Damian as he pulled me into his arms.

"I still can't believe it. We're having a son!" I whispered.

"Thank you. Thank you for waiting for me with this." he said softly, his voice vibrating with emotion. Very gently, he gave me a kiss on the forehead as his hand gently stroked the bump.

"I'm so glad," I replied.

We remained like that for quite a while. We just enjoyed the closeness and the beauty of this moment. It was absolutely certain that neither of us would ever forget this moment.

But then my growling stomach ended the beautiful moment. Damian pulled back from me, chuckling, and looked me in the eye.

"Hungry?" he asked.

"Yes, and very much so. I'm not sure I can share with you." I replied as he handed me a piece of the cake.

"It's okay, Mami. Eat as much as you want. The baby still has to grow, after all." said Damian.

Afterwards, we spent the evening talking and cuddling together on the couch. Even though we took it slow, it felt like it had always been that way. I rested my head on Damian's chest while he slowly stroked my belly. It was so relaxing that it didn't take long for my eyes to grow heavy and I started yawning.

"I think it's time for bed. You shouldn't sleep on the couch. I better get home now." Damian said as he looked down at me and smiled.

"And what if I don't want you to go?" I asked quietly as I rubbed my eyes.

"What do you mean?" he wanted to know.

"I want you to stay with us. I need cuddles and so does the baby. Stay?" I replied.

"Then I guess I'll stay. Let's go to sleep. You and the little man need your rest." said Damian and then helped me get up from the couch.

That had really been a wonderful evening and I don't think I had ever slept so well. Damian's heartbeat slowly lulled me to sleep. The last thing I heard was a deep, contented sigh from him before I started dreaming about our son and our future.