Chapter 31

"You shanks alive in there?"

At the sound of his voice, I couldn't help but gawk up at the built man. My eyes flickered across his neutral face, searching for any signs of that deranged boy that tried to harm himself. Many emotions flooded through me at the sight of him; confusion, relief, fear, joy, nervous, and all those other emotions that keep you up at night.

"Shuck it, woman, what're you starin' at?" Alby asked me, looking at my anxious expression.

My eyes shifted off from his figure and searched around the room for who he was talking to, not fully realizing that he was talking to yours truly. Finding nobody behind me, I turned back to Alby with a curious look before being hit with realization, "Oh! Sorry! I was just- you just.... Just you...you seemed to heal pretty quickly. You feelin' okay?"

I got to my feet and moved towards the window where Alby's large frame filled. I cautiously raised my hand and held one of the bars, looking at Alby like he was a ticking, time-bomb.

"Ain't never been better." Alby flexed his muscles while he smirked widely. He dropped his arms to the lock outside the Slammer's entry before the door began to creak open.

I stepped out from the Slammer, giving Alby a pointed look to tell me the truth. His expression looked calm and collected, but his eyes held the pain he was truly feeling inside. His demeanor might be able to fool the Gladers, but not me. I knew pain when I saw it.

Seeing that I knew he was bullshitting me, his smirk fell as his body sunk forward, "That's a big, fat lie. I feel like I was klunked on by a shucking griever."

"And the truth comes out." I smirked lightly, as kept my eyes trained on his expression. Alby awkwardly tried to avoid my gaze as his eyes went to his feet. I was trying to get him to talk. We both knew we needed to discuss whatever the hell went on yesterday. If Thomas wasn't there to interrupt my questioning, Alby would've been bombarded with question after question of what's outside the Maze. Though the look on his face when he mentioned "outside", had me a little anxious.

"Where's Thomas?" Alby suddenly changed the subject before I could ask any questions.

My eyes instantly went bored and narrowed at the mention of Thomas' name. A unamused glower tugged on my lips as I turned and looked inside the Slammer, seeing a big ball of blue, black, and brown curled up in the corner of the cell.

"Big dope's asleep." I said simply, nodding towards Thomas.

It was silent for a solid minute as the two of us continued to spare glances at each other and the sleeping Thomas. The silence was awkward, creating a heavy tension in my chest. I wanted to ask him questions, but I was waiting for him to begin the conversation first.

"This is so dumb," Alby spoke up finally, an eager feeling taking over me, "We both know y'have thousands of questions in that noggin of yours. And as much as I want to give ya those answers, I can't. It's like someone is controllin' me, as bizarre as that sounds. Whenever I try 'nd say somethin' that I remember, it's like someone takes over me 'nd makes me hurt myself."

I was disappointed, to say the least. But I had to get something out of him. He's the closest thing I have to remembering my life. I barely even care if that sounds selfish.

"I-is there anything you can tell me?" I stuttered, feeling as though my breath was taken away.

Alby pursed his lips shut staring down at me while he dug deep inside those awful memories of his, looking for vague explanations. Finally, Alby sighed, "It's kinda fadin', but I ain't never gonna forget. I saw you and Tommy-boy. You...you were helping the Creators. But that ain't even what got me shook up."