Chapter 19

Why did I run into the Maze after Thomas?

I don't know.

Do I regret it now?

Maybe.

Thomas and I carried the Glade's unconscious leader down a dark corridor, unable to really see anything until you're about three feet away from it.

Thomas and I stumbled and fell into the walls trying to keep the heavy Alby from falling. It felt like we were carrying three men on our shoulders.

The noises from the oncoming grievers were closer and louder. My eardrums were rumbling from the roar of its engine and I could practically taste the oil in the air.

"Ame," Thomas tugged Alby, gaining my attention, "The ivy. We can't pull him everywhere if we want to live through the night."

"So, you want t'leave 'em up in the ivy instead?" I hissed back, hating the idea.

Thomas opened his mouth to speak, but before he could reason, a loud hissing sound came from the far end of the corridor, making Thomas and I snap our heads toward the sound in alarm.

Thomas turned back to me before whispering, "It's not like we have a choice in this."

Without a choice, I lifted Alby's arm more securely on my shoulder before running toward a thick patch of ivy.

Well...running as fast as we could with a boy and his five hundred pound muscles on our backs.

Half dragging, half carrying Alby, we made it to the ivy patch.

Thomas volunteered to hold Alby while I tested the ivy to find which one was the sturdiest.

I dropped Alby's arm carefully, making sure Thomas had a steady grip on him before turning towards the ivy. My hands quickly searched over them, tugging on each of them.

I found a thick vine and tugged on it with all my might. I wasn't sure if it was capable of holding the heavily muscular boy, so I pulled myself up, hanging off the vine. I shifted around, trying to find a weak spot.

I jumped off quickly, keeping my fingers wrapped around the vine, before turning to Thomas.

Quickly, Thomas propped Alby against the wall before snatching the vine from my hands. I spun back around towards the think ivy patch, gathering and testing more vines.

At the end result, I passed Thomas about four vines. Each vine was tied tightly around one of Alby's limbs which made him resemble a creepy and unconscious marionette.

Thomas and I stood back, taking a look at our work.

"How're we gonna get him up?" Thomas muttered to himself, biting his thumbnail.

I looked at Alby, then turned my head up and stared at the distance from the bottom to the top.

"I push, you pull?" I suggested, crossing my arms and looking at Thomas.

"That'll work, I guess." He muttered once again.

Thomas began climbing the ivy, having no trouble whatsoever. I watched him carefully, spotting his movement and making sure that wherever he stepped was safe. He was about seven feet above Alby when he stopped.

I tilted my head to the side, trying to see what the matter was. I waited until my eyes adjusted to the darkness of the shadow casted over Thomas' face.

Thomas stared at nothing in particular. He stared at the wall in front of him in a daze. His brows were pulled together in thought.

I concentrated on Thomas, as he just hung there. I glanced around; hearing the scraping of metal and inhaling the strong smell of gasoline.