Chapter 25

"I don't understand why we need a damn Gathering. Honestly, like...sorry we're alive then!" I grumbled hanging to Newt's shoulder as he helped me towards the Council Hall.

"You'll be fine, darling," Newt smiled calmly, nudging my head with his, "Just be honest 'nd remember t'keep quiet unless someone asks ya a question. Alright?"

"Alright," I mumbled like a child, "But if Gally opens his fat mouth...I'll go all freaking samurai on his ass."

Newt laughed out loud, his head lifting towards the sky slightly, "As much as I would love t'see that bugger get put into place, y'have t'keep your pretty mouth shut. It's the rules, Amesie."

"I don't like rules. They annoy me." I continued to grumble like a young child being put on time-out.

"I know. But you seem to have a hankering to attract good luck to yourself 'nd everybody around you. So...I think you'll get out of this one just fine." Newt smiled, his voice quieting as we approached the Council Hall.

"Thanks. But I think you're the one who'll need the luck. I mean...you're playing leader today. How you feelin' 'bout that?" I glanced up to Newt.

"Yeah. I'm not that excited for it. I don't wanna say the wrong thing and upset anybody or cause a riot of any sort. Alby's always been the one to gain control. I mean he's bold and-and...well have you seen the bloody muscles on that guy! He looks like he can lift a damn tree out of the ground, roots 'nd all! But I'm all scrawny and twig-ish and have a boyish voice that cracks and-and-"

"Newt?" I interrupted him, turning him around to face me while I smiled in amusement.

"Yeah?"

"Shut up," I chuckled, "You're gonna do fine. Yes, you won't be able to please everybody. But that's life. And about your so-called 'scrawny' and 'twig-ish' body...I don't know what the hell you're talking about. I mean...you're hot. Shut the hell up. And about your 'boy-ish' voice that cracks...it's cute so it's fine. Now I gotta go sit in the middle of your book club and stay silent until I'm asked a question." I smiled, patting the left cheek of Newt's face before limping into the middle of the Council Hall.

I saw Thomas already waiting in the centre of the room, sitting in the one of two wicker chairs. He's eyes flickered around the dark room anxiously, trying not to make any eye contact with anybody. His knee bounced up and down, his fingers tapping rapidly against the chair. His lips were occupied by his teeth, while his shoulders tensed and relaxed.

It was easy to see he was nervous.

I strolled into the room, as best as I could without falling over. My leg was killing me. The stitches stung while the muscles ached. It felt like the bones ganged up on me and decided to beat up all the other nerves and muscles in my leg. But I continued to stroll in like the people in the room were nothing but spots on my shoes. My signature smirk and bored eyes were plastered onto my face, even though my stomach churned with anxiety.

I took my seat beside Thomas before actually looking around.

It looked almost like an arena. The Keepers were the ones standing while there were stands for other Gladers to watch the Gathering. The floor was dusty and covered in tiny grains of sand while the ceiling was held up by long wooden poles which were poorly carved. The ceiling was made up of leaves and vines, with little rays of sunshine peeking into the room in between the leaves.

I gazed around at the other Gladers, noticing Chuck sitting in the front row. Not that I don't like seeing my first friend but the fact that he was allowed to watch this Gathering while I wasn't allowed to watch the Gathering where it actually involved me, kind of ticked me off.