Chapter 3

Rips In Your Jeans - Shannon Saunders
__________

I sat under a tree, with my right knee tucked to my chest. I had my arms wrapped around my shin, my anxious heart slowing with each breeze that drifted over my skin.

My keen eyes traced over Glade for what felt like the hundredth time, committing ever detail to mind. If this is my new home, then I think I should remember it.

There's a lot of empty space in my brain at the moment. I think I should at least remember something.

But something else kept itching at the back of my mind. Like a tickle or an ominous hum.

Everything about the Glade was familiar. I'm not sure what from but, nonetheless, I recognized it. Vaguely.

Like something from a fever dream.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. So many questions plagued my mind all at the same time, I'm not sure if I'd be able to ask them properly if I ever got the chance.

I just wished that all of this was a dream. A nightmare. I wish that I could wake up in a nice warm bed, with a mother and a father at my side to comfort me.

But I didn't even remember if I had any parents.

Maybe I was an orphan.

I shook my head, trying to get the thoughts out of my mind. Last thing I need to feel right now is sad, I'm already terrified.

I laid back, resting my head against the trunk of the looming oak tree that swayed and danced silently to the quaint wind.

I pressed my eyes shut and just listened to the mundane sounds around me.

I heard the soft, warm breeze whistle through the leaves of the trees as if they were speaking. I heard the clucking from the chickens in the pen to the left of where I sat. I heard the pigs snort, and the roosters coo.

It all came as a distant echo drifting along air, and it was peaceful and soothing.

I heard the distant sound of the Gladers speaking with each other. They were most likely talking about their day and...well—not to sound conceited or anything—me. I felt a plethora of curious gazes dance towards my lone hunched figure.

But I never took the time to look back. Let them stare, I guess.

Other than that, everything was silent.

My nerves slowly began to settle as the breeze played with hair and curled across my tense skin. I began to calm down.

Then I heard a terrifying, blood-curdling, toe-twisting, inhumanly scream emerge from somewhere in the Glade.

The solace and tranquility I felt a second ago shattered completely as I jumped to my feet, my eyes wide with fear as I searched for the source of the scream.

"I'm back! I got you a ham sandwich, an apple, a granola bar, and some water." Chuck said walking towards me with a tray full of food.

He walked towards me with a smile on his face...did he not hear that scream?

I looked at him incredulously, feeling terror rip at my speeding heart.

"What the hell was that?" I exclaimed.

Chuck's smile faded slightly as he glanced back at one of the main wooden shacks.

"Just Ben." He shrugged.

He shrugged like it was no big deal.

Yet, that scream was so harrowing.

It was painful just to hear it, but it must be excruciating to feel whatever he's experiencing. It was filled with such horror and agony—so loud I could practically feel it.