Chapter 34

"This is so stupid," I grumbled, running a filthy hand through my greasy hair.

"Well if you don't like it, then why'd you sign up for it?" Minho shot back, his voice holding back frustration.

Being kept in a tight, hot room with two teenage boys raining sweat, was nothing like I pictured being a Runner was about.

Drawings of the maze were nailed to the walls of the Map Room around us. Numbers one through eight were scattered amok the snug room, making my head throb at the disorder. Everything was a mess, evoking me to roll my eyes at the typical guy behaviour. It made me want to clean.

I stood on the opposite side of the round, lopsided table facing Minho who stood at the other end with Thomas. They both over-looked the newly drawn map of today's Section and the map that had been drawn either yesterday or the day before.

"That's not what I meant," I growled at my friend, the exhaustion of today's run irritating me, "Why are we doing normal routines when we should be going back to the Cliff and figuring out where those grievers disappeared to? All three of us saw those things disappear and I don't mean distant-wise."

Minho's frustrated gaze softened as he shared a glance with Thomas. They both knew I was right. What was the point of searching through the Maze when we might already have the answer?

"Ame's right. We need to look further into it. They have to go somewhere during the day, don't they?" Thomas asked the million-dollar question.

"Plus, we actually have some griever insight now. Whatever that thing is, whatever it does, it could help us," I tapped my knuckles against the table as I stared down Minho and Thomas, "We shouldn't be leaving it here in the Glade like some priceless artifact. One; someone could 'go exploring', find it, then accidentally break it. Two; it was the heart of a shucking griever! We need to use that to our advantage."

I stared into the deep brown orbs of Minho, his observing gaze never leaving mine. I could practically feel him studying my determination as my hands turned into fists. Minho's words actually had effect on me today. It's funny how the negative boy from a few nights ago, was the one to tell me to not think negatively. Though it didn't completely get rid of the heavy hopelessness that laid across my chest, but it did help me get into the right mindset.

Meaning, I gained a lot of balls in the last few hours.

Before Minho could even get a word out, there came two pairs of frantic knocking from the large concrete door to my left. Thomas - being the closest to the door - quickly applied to the plea of outside the room, meeting the wild-looking Jeff and Clint.

"Sorry! Sorry if we're-if we're interrupting...anything...but...it's the um...it's-" Jeff panted out over the noise behind him.

"It's the girl." Clint finished for the Keeper, hands on his hips as he too panted.

"What? What about her?" Thomas asked, eyebrows furrowing with concentration and panic.

"Is she awake?" I asked from behind him, stepping forward to stand beside him.

Jeff and Clint shared a look, both of them smirking at the question. "You could say that." Jeff chuckled.

The noise caught mine and Minho's attention;the sound of yelling boys and objects clattering against what sounds like metal rang across the Glade. Sharing a wide-eyed glance with Minho, I stepped around the two Medjacks, my eyes immediately searching for where all the commotion came from.

I watched in awe as tiny, pale hands threw any and all objects in or near their grasp to fend off the surrounding Gladers at the foot of the large tree the person was hiding atop. Shouts of frustration and anger rung out across the Glade from the answer-hungry Gladers below, obviously frightening the person more.