Chapter 22

Where the shuck is the sun?

It's been half an hour. I've seen snails move faster.

The three of us sat by the Cliff in silence. Thomas had stopped crying about twenty-five minutes ago and hadn't spoken since. None of us did. In fact, we didn't even sit close to each other.

Minho thankfully had water in his pack which I happily drank from. We shared it though. Dividing it equally between the three of us.

Minho offered to clean my wounds, but I refused because I didn't want him wasting water on just dry blood that I could clean off when we get back to the Glade. He didn't argue about wasting the water, but he did tie my leg with the towel Runners would use on their faces when they get sweaty.

The dry blood pretty much had caused a scab over the wounds which fortunately had stopped the blood from pouring.

My head was pounding, my entire body ached. I was exhausted from all the running and even more exhausted because of all the blood lost. My eyes felt like they were being weighed down by anchors, and I knew I needed some rest.

Are you supposed to do that? Is that healthy? To fall asleep when you lost a lot of blood?

I had no idea.

Currently, I laid on my side, tucked into a little ball. I held my arms, folding them under my chest while my head rested on Minho's pack. I laid against the wall away from the Cliff. I had my bow and quiver full of arrows beside me, ready to be used if needed.

My eyes were closed, feeling my body relax. Though my leg still stung with pain. I groaned every once in awhile, the pain turning into more of a stabbing pain every few minutes.

I tried my best to keep my thoughts off of everything that happened that night. Everything was so overwhelming. Everything made me paranoid. Everything made me jump. Even the smallest of sounds. I felt as if I were still being pursued. Like a griever was going to pop out of anywhere.

Whenever I was about to drift off, I would jolt awake by the thought of a griever chasing me down a corridor. I would flinch and jump when my mind would wander to the memories of which was made only hours ago.

So, I resulted in focusing on the sun.

Aside from all the aching, all the pain, and all the exhaustion, I was happy.

We're still alive.

Even after being chased, hunted, thrown, hit, and almost squished.

We were still alive.

I just wished the freaking sun would hurry it's ass up!

I thought about what would be happening in the Glade at that very moment. I knew that the leader and the Keeper of Runners being trapped in the maze overnight would be quite a scandal. But what about the only girl and the last boy Glader running into the maze even when there was no chance of surviving whatsoever?

You're not the only girl anymore, remember? My thoughts recalled.

The girl. Is she awake? What if she woke up when we were in the maze? How is she handling everything? Is she sleeping in the same room as Newt?

Newt.

I just kept saying his name in my head, over and over again. Even his name gave me chills. Just the thought of him made my stomach fill with butterflies. In a few minutes, I can see him again. Is he gonna be angry? That I disobeyed him and ran into the maze?

"I can't believe we're alive." A raspy, tired voice filled the eerie silence.

I didn't bother to open my eyes. I knew exactly who it was. I was just too tired to respond. And by the sounds of it, Minho felt the same way.