Chapter 23

Alby's screams rung through the Glade, piercing the silence of night.

My eyes shot open, my body jolting up. My hand immediately went to my back reaching for an arrow. I patted my shoulders frantically, searching for the quiver.

But that was when I realized,

I was in the Glade.

In Homestead.

My eyes darted around the room, searching for any signs of danger. But all I saw was a dull, dark room filled with Glader-made furniture.

I drew out a long breath of air, feeling my back ache at the movement. I brought a hand through my hair, hoping that I would be able to get back to sleep without an issue.

I slowly laid back down into the cot, tugging at the thin white sheet that did nothing to warm me. My head sunk into the pillow, my eyes closing a moment before.

The pain relief pills Jeffery gave me earlier were the cause of me going to sleep. I didn't dream which was a good thing. I don't think I would be able to handle my dreams just yet.

But how am I supposed to get back to sleep now?

How 'bout that kiss of yours? My thoughts reminded me, making me inwardly scream like a fifteen-year-old girl seeing her favourite boy band in concert.

A smile pulled onto my face as the memory of Newt kissing me popped into my mind. I replayed the whole scene in my head like I was watching a romantic movie.

I shifted down slightly, trying to find my comfortable spot. But minutes went by without any luck of sleep.

Maybe it was because of Alby's screams continuing on. Or maybe it was because every time I would close my eyes, the sight of the griever would appear, like it was standing right in front of me.

So, I just laid there. Staring at the ceiling with my hands resting on my abdomen.

My mind was wandering everywhere. It went from the fears of being caught by grievers, to imagining myself eating a turnip that made me grow taller than the walls.

Ha! And the grievers would be like little, creepy lobsters that would pinch my feet. I thought.

My mind constantly wandered to Newt and the kiss, making me have little fangirl attacks. I tried to keep my mind from thinking about the night in the maze, but it was easier said than done. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to sleep anymore.

But my body wanted and needed the sleep. Twenty minutes later, I began drifting off. My mind slowly shut down, my thoughts pausing in place. It felt like my body sink into the bed as I relaxed. Everything stopped as my eyes shut, the darkness taking over sooner than I thought.

But once I was sucked into sleep, I didn't realize I was slowly trapping myself into a world of nightmares.

I ran through the maze. Feeling every muscle burn like a raging fire. My head snapped left and right, trying to make a decision on which way I should go. The roar of a griever coming from behind me, made the decision for me.

I ran down the left corridor, not really sure why.

I continued to run, my knees buckling every once and awhile. But I continued to run. Not even taking the quick second to look over my shoulder. My feet felt like bricks dipped in gold. I felt like I was carrying a thousand weights while running. I didn't even feel like I was going anywhere.

But eventually, the corridor made a sharp turn and for a second, I thought I had gotten away from all the madness.

I was wrong.