Chapter 26

The murmurs were low throughout the group. Many making judgements on Gally's behaviour and some were agreeing with what he said.

As for I, I didn't know what to think.

He's crazy. My mind continued to tell me, but something seemed off.

Very off.

I stood up, leaning against the pole staring up at the door Gally just walked out of. Everything inside me screamed that something was wrong. That whatever Gally said wasn't crazy and could actually be true. What if I actually was here for something other than just being another person in the Glade?

"Are you alright?" A whisper came from the left side of the pole holding up the ceiling.

I rolled my head over, onto my left shoulder, meeting the deep brown eyes of Newt. The corners of my lips pulled up quickly, trying to pull off a forced smile.

Wow. That was painful. I thought to myself, making sure that I said that in my head and not out load.

"Just great." I said sarcastically.

"Don't listen to Gally. I think it's just 'cause he hit his head a little too hard on the job yesterday." Newt whispered to me, leaning against the other side of the pole casually as the other Gladers continued to chatter.

"That goes for you, too. You're an amazing leader. Gally just has a stick up his asshole and is pissy because he can't boss people around." I smirked keeping my eyes ahead, to not make it obvious that I was speaking with the substitute leader of the Glade.

I felt his hand slip into mine behind the pole, my cold hand immediately engulfed into the new warmth. His thumb massaged the back of my hand, calming my nerves.

"Thanks, darling." Newt smiled, before hiding his head behind the pole bring my hand to his lips.

He placed a sweet kiss on the back of my hand, his lips hanging on for a long three seconds before slowly pulling away. He placed his body weight against the pole once again, intertwining our fingers together which remained behind the pole.

We knew everyone was too busy in their own conversations to watch us.

I tried to hide the giddy smile that screamed to erupt, making me have to bite down on my lips. But the smile found its way to my eyes, making them somewhat shine brighter. My heart beated out of my chest as I replayed the moment where Newt kissed my hand.

A shucking gentleman. I can't...I really can't...I just.... I thought, knowing I said it in my head.

"You know you should probably get them under control." I smirked, hiding the fact my voice cracked slightly.

"I probably should. But...the longer they talk, the longer I get to stand by your side and hold her hand." Newt smirked back, looking forward.

I felt a blush crawl up my neck and onto my face as his reply replayed in my mind, making my already pink face turn crimson.

"Newt! Newt!" Came a voice, followed by a boy running into the Council Hall.

Sadly, Newt pulled his hand away from mine as he stepped towards the boy, his chest immediately puffing out as his facial features turned stony. He took long strides toward the boy, his brown eyes screaming curiosity as to why the boy was there. The boy met him halfway before saying with wide eyes, "Alby's goin' crazy, man. He's thrashin' 'round up there, screamin' to see 'em?"

"Who?" Newt's eyes narrowing in confusion and curiosity.

The boy's eyes quickly wandered around the Council Hall for a second before spotting us. He lifted his hand, pointing before saying the names to Newt, "Thomas and Ame. He won't stop screamin' their shuck names."