Chapter 1

Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses
__________

             The first thing people look for in the morning is sunlight. The sunlight that shafts through the fabric of a curtain, or beams through the glass of a window that always seemed to wake you up earlier than planned.

But I couldn't see the sunlight when I woke up. I couldn't see the ceiling or the walls. I couldn't even see my fingers that I held in front of my face. I couldn't see anything. Darkness was all I could see.

I sat up with a gasp, feeling as if something was being drained from me. It felt like my heart was being strung off a cliff, as memories of my life began to disappear like a file on a computer being deleted off a program.

I scrambled to my knees, my fingers looping through the holes in the floor of this elevator. I began to hyperventilate as I felt my brain slowly empty out all memories of my family, my friends, and my life. I squeezed my eyes shut, desperately trying to cling onto a memory of any part of my life; but the memories only continued to melt away like ice on hot asphalt.

I held onto what was left of the memory of my family. Their faces were scratched out and their names became harder to pronounce. I repeated the number of family members under my breath, unable to identify my parents or sibling.

"Four. There's four. Four. Four of us." I breathed desperately.

The words soon became hollow and meaningless because I had forgotten what I was thinking.

What was I saying before? I thought to myself.

I felt empty for a reason I was not sure of yet. Before I could figure out the reason behind the emptiness, I decided to figure out where I was located and why it was so dark.

I sat on my knees, feeling the chained-flooring poke at my skin. I felt goose bumps roll up my arms as I loosened my hold on the floor while feeling my jeans stretch for my bending legs.

A crisp breeze nipped at the skin underneath my chin and around my nose. It was cold, but I was sweating. Beads of sweat ran down the back of my neck, while I felt my palms become clammy and moist. My eardrums shook to the noise of the elevator being pulled upward and toward the sky. My nostrils were filled with the reeking smell of motor oil and burning metal. The toxic scents ripped at my throat like a knife being thrown into a pillow case and shaken a few times.

I tried adjusting my eyes to the darkness but all I continued to see was black. The thought of being blind made a pang of panic and fear course through my body, faster than blood could move through veins. Pushing back the negative thoughts, I slowly pulled myself to my feet, keeping a steady hand out just in case I fell.

By this point, I was hoping to see something beyond the elevator. Like a dim lightbulb or a window that exposed maybe an alleyway behind a few bars or restaurants. But the only thing in sight was more darkness. Not a single soul or a single ray of light.

Nothing but darkness.

I snapped my head around in every direction, panic hitting me like a punch in the stomach. The empty void that continued to pull at my heart was answered just as questions began to plague me.

Lights? Where are the lights? Where are the people? Are there people? Am I alone? Where am I?

Where the hell am I?

My blood ran cold as a sick realization took over my form. I don't know who I am. My body shook vigorously, as I tried to look down at myself in hopes of triggering a memory. With the darkness concealing my body and appearance from my vision, panic abused my already alerted mind with unanswered questions and unsolvable puzzles. Who am I?