Chapter 24

The photo on the side is by Drama_Joker who made this amazing masterpiece!!! I cried and fang irked so hard when I saw this and omggggg it's perfect!!!

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!

Sorry this isn't a lot. This week has been crazy with homework. It's funny how when I take two weeks off from the story nothing happens at school but when I need to work on my story, assignment, test, assignment, quiz, essay, more shit that I bullshitted my way through, another damn test...you get it.

So this isn't edited and it's not a lot but at least it's something.

I WILL NOT UPDATE TOMORROW! I WILL UPDATE NEXT WEEK ON THIRSDAY.

So...enjoy, my...whatever you guys want to be called :)
___________________

      I heard your voice, too.

The words hung in the air like a low hum that was the aftermath of ringing a gong.

I sat there staring a Thomas' face with wide eyes while my facial expression displayed a look of shock and almost fear. My heart was in my throat, and I felt the air in my lungs get caught. Adrenaline pumped through my veins but my skin felt oddly cold. A chill rolled up my spine, causing a domino effect of goosebumps to fall across my arms.

How did he hear me?

"You...you heard...me...? Are you sure? I-I mean...I talk a lot a-and you could have just been mistaken," I tried to reason, unsure of what the hell was happening before I got really defensive, "Are you messin' with me? Are you mockin' me, T?"

"Ame, I swear. I would never lie to you." Thomas stared into my narrowed orbs, a sincere glint in his familiar brown eyes making me slowly begin to believe that he was telling the truth.

My eyes hardened as I examined him and his facial features for any signs of a lie. When I found nothing but a sincere and caring expression painted onto his face, my eyes slowly softened and my clenched jaw slowly slacked.

"What did you hear?" I asked quietly.

"Your dream." He spoke without hesitation.

I shook my head, thinking of the many possible ways he could've heard me, "I could've been talkin' in my sleep and you...misheard, I suppose."

"Ame," Thomas spoke softly.

"Or you could've dreamt it." I spoke again, ignoring him.

"Ame," Thomas said more sternly.

"I mean last night was pretty dramatic and everything that-" I began but was interrupted by Thomas' hands landing on my shoulders.

"Ame. I was wide awake. Everything except Alby's screams were quiet. I heard you. In. My. Head. I am more than certain of that. You called my name. Over and over again. You sounded...so scared." Thomas explained, his voice strong.

I stared at Thomas with wide eyes filled with confusion and fear. It's not possible. We're both just tired and we're both pretty traumatized.

But something told me that this wasn't something to brush off like lint on your black pants. This was more than important. It was something that we can't share to the other Gladers yet. This can't get out.

No one can know.

"Then what is it, T? We're both telepathic and can send mental messages to the other? That's crazy." I continued to try push the idea of "telepathy" away.

"I don't know." Thomas told me truthfully, his concentrated eyes never leaving mine unless it was to blink.

My tightened jaw slightly dropped when a thought hit me. My blood ran cold and every bone in my body froze to ice. My heart leaped as if trying to dodge the impact of feeling fear. That obviously didn't work. I opened my mouth to speak, only to have a shaky breath of air escape. But after I collected my thoughts, I spoke in a whisper.

"Are we crazy?"

Thomas' eyes softened when he looked at me. He looked at me like I was a child. If it weren't for certain circumstances, I would've probably snapped. He took a deep breath before his eyes flashed with determination mixed with care. He squeezed my shoulders gently, shaking me slightly.

"We are not crazy. Okay?" Thomas spoke gently.

"Then what's wrong with us?" I asked, my voice wavering at the uncertainty.

Thomas's eyes bore into mine and looked at me like he was making a promise. He shook his head, shrugging slightly, "I don't know, Ame. I really don't. But I have a feeling it has something to do with those Creators."

I nodded slowly, looking down to my hands that sat on my lap. I gulped before looking back up. I thought back to the girl's voice and was about to ask him about it when we were all of a sudden interrupted by a hair-rising scream from Alby.

Thomas and I jumped in our spots, his hands retreating from my shoulders. Our heads flashed to the room across the hall, where Alby was restrained.

After the long, heart-wrenching scream ended Thomas spoke quietly, "I should probably get back t'my room. You need sleep. We'll talk about this tomorrow."

Thomas stood up and began walking towards the door when I whispered frantically towards him, "Wait!"

Thomas turned around and looked at me with furrowed brows of confusion. He tilted his head to the side, and I knew I needed to give him a reason.

"Can you please...stay?" I asked a little awkwardly, "Just until I fall asleep?"

Thomas looked a little surprised by what I asked but instead of giving me a weird look, he sent me a small smile and nodded.

I sighed in relief when he pulled a stool next to the cot, without looking awkward. I smiled to myself before shifting down into my comfy spot and pulling the blankets over my arms with the help of Thomas.

"Goodnight, Ame." Thomas whispered.

"Goodnight, T." I closed my eyes, smiling slightly at his new nickname.

Throughout the night, I would constantly wake up panting and terrified that there would be a griever standing in front of me. But Thomas was always there to reassure me that we were safe. By the second time my nightmares woke me up, Thomas came to a conclusion that by holding my hand while I slept, I would have a "sense of company".

That was the only reason why I got any sleep that night.

Because I knew that Thomas was there.

I knew we were safe.
___________

FOLLOW, VOTE, AND COMMENT <333

Love, xoAwkwardDiamond <33