Chapter 10

Sparks - Coldplay
__________

Alby and Thomas still went on.

They rambled and argued about the implied assumptions, their sharp and skeptical voices meshing into one maundering white noise—the Gladers falling into a hush behind them.

As for me, I just sat there, sitting next to the Box Hole with my knees tucked to my chest—staring off at the spot where the girl used to lay.

Where she said our names.

Thomas and Ame.

I had so many questions about how she could possibly know but every time I came up with a possibility, the conclusion is always different. Making me even more confused on which hypothesis is correct. All in all, I had no idea what to think.

I'm pretty sure the Gladers were still around us, but they're too quiet for me to tell. All I could see was the girl's scared eyes. But she looked at me like she knew me. She looked like someone who got off an airplane and just spotted her family waiting for her.

Problem is, I don't know who she is.

But I recognize her.

"Ame?" I heard someone say.

I looked up slowly, following the voice. I found myself staring up into the deep brown orbs of Alby's eyes.

"Do you have any idea what just happened?" Alby repeated slowly, running a hand over his short black hair.

I kept my mouth shut. No snarky comment. No smirk. No bored eyes. Just a simple shake of my head.

I tried to keep my breath steady and slow but my mind continued to echo the names of "Thomas" and "Ame" being said by the girl. It was hard to keep from hyperventilating as I felt another panic attack continuing to grow.

"Are you sure?" Alby asked, his voice laced with disbelief.

I glanced at him before focusing on the spot where the girl used to lay. I took a shaky breath.

"Right now, it probably doesn't matter what I'll say. You'll never believe me anyways. I could be as innocent as a fawn and you'll still believe that I'm behind some...murder mystery. All because I was the first out of three to show in the three days," I looked up at Alby, my voice rising, "I don't know what the hell is going on. I don't know why the hell I was sent here. And I have no idea how that chick knows mine or Thomas's name," I took a deep breath, hearing not the tiniest bit of noise come from any of the Gladers. Not a sound. I began speaking again, "Whatever reason she's here for, she must be watched closely. The Creators wouldn't have sent a half-dead girl here if she wasn't sent here for a reason. She must be special otherwise they wouldn't have sent her."

Everyone was silent as Alby examined my face for any signs of untruthfulness. Though I kept my face blank, letting only my eyes show my real emotions.

Frustration.

Confusion.

Fear.

Alby turned away from me, scratching his head and muttering to himself.

"Something's whacked. Call a Gathering." He said, his voice low with a dithering tone.

He spoke so quiet that I think everyone had to strain their hearing, but after a second of processing his order, everyone began to scatter. Gladers slowly went back to work as the Keepers began to make their way to the Council Hall. All but Newt.

He looked at my trembling figure with a small tender smile that sent chills up my spine. Newt crouched in front of me, looking carefully into my eyes. "Are you gonna be alright?" He asked, furrowing his brows with concern for what felt like the millionth time today.