Chapter 15

"Bring him out!" Alby shouted, startling Thomas out of his thoughts.

The Gladers were all gathered together in the middle of the Glade, whispering to each other of the news on Ben. They were until they began bringing him out.

I stood at the back of the group, next to Thomas. I was terrified of tonight's events. I'm terrified of facing him again. Chuck explained to me that Ben was supposed to give a public apology to Thomas and I before being banished. And I can honestly say that I'm not that thrilled.

I'm sort of relieved that Ben's alive but I'm not at the same time. Now I know for sure that he's alive, I know I have to face him. The last time I faced him, I was attacked by him.

I shoved my hands in the pockets of my blue jeans as the Runners walked out of the building looking exhausted. I kept fidgeting every time a Runner would walk out of the building. I either was playing with the bottom of my black long-sleeve shirt, the ends of my blonde hair, or had my hands shoved into my pockets. I'd even caught myself biting my nails a few times.

I looked up to Thomas who had his head turned, looking behind us. I then looked at everybody else and noticed they were all looking behind us, too. I followed their eyes and spotted the one who I thought was dead.

Ben was being dragged by three of the bigger Gladers. I studied the three Gladers face noticing how their expression switched to remorse, to stone, to almost sad. But they did their best to keep a blank face on.

Then I looked over to Ben. He was much more paler, I'm guessing from blood loss. Half his head was covered in bandages coated with blood. His tousled blonde hair stuck together in clumps of dried blood and grease that bounced at every bump in the ground he was dragged over. His eyes were down casted and I could tell he was exhausted. Once again, I'm assuming it's from the blood loss. His shoulders were tensed and it was easy to tell that he was scared. No. Let me rephrase that.

He was terrified.

Now that just makes me feel even worse.

"Newt, bring out the pole." Alby ordered.

Newt nodded silently, making his way towards the Gardening Shed. He looked at me, as if checking to see if I was okay. I gave him a quick nod, mentally saying that I was fine. He nodded back, turning back to the shed. I watched his structure as he made his way toward the shed. He turned his head down, looking at his feet but he soon shrugged off his gentle expression and pulled on a stern look. The look was a little intimating, something I will never let him know, but I knew he had to seem stern when he came face-to-face with Ben.

I cursed myself for being in the forest that day. I rubbed the bandage that was still attached to the front of my neck, wincing a little at the stinging pain.

"You okay?" I heard Thomas whisper to me.

I looked over at him and saw that he was looking down at me with worry.

I nodded slightly before whispering back, "Yeah, just...my neck...was just...never mind." I trailed off, not really needing to say anymore.

Thomas nodded, rubbing the shoulder that Ben bit. We both understood each other. After we both heard of the news, we both explained how we felt about the Ben issue. We both feel like it's our fault Ben was in this situation. We both feel relieved that he's alive but yet we both are terrified at the same time.

I took small glances at Thomas, examining his face.

We both need to discuss how we find each other familiar. We had chances to talk about it but I think we're both just trying to process it. Or are just trying to come up with a reasonable explanation before facing each other.