Chapter 28

As we silently made our way down the stairs, I kept casting Newt a few strange glances. I was trying to study his expression, but every time I looked up his reaction would change. One minute, the ghost of a smile sat on his face. The next, he looked about ready to cry.

But I can't judge him. He's just showing how Thomas and I were feeling at that moment.

Once we reached the bottom level of Homestead, Newt turned to us with a neutral expression, "I'm leaving ya' here, shanks. I have t'go look for Gally so we can throw his shuck-faced arse in the Slammer."

My mouth dropped open and my eyebrows lifted. The corner of my wide mouth dared to turn up a tiny bit at the thought of Gally behind bars. I felt a strange tingle of joy somewhere in my heart.

"Serious?" Thomas asked with the almost exact same expression as I.

"The slinthead threatened t'kill you two. We obviously have t'make sure that'll never happen. He's lucky we're not gonna shucking Banish him. Remember what I told you about order. If we don't bloody have it, then everythin' falls apart." Newt said looking at Thomas, venom dripping from his words.

I didn't get that speech but I think I sort of get what he's trying to say.

I nodded my head, trying to push away the thoughts of Gally.

"L'right, I have to go, so basically just...um...just stay out of trouble." Newt said to the both of us but looked at me. I could tell he was really worried about me. I saw the tenderness in his eyes.

The corner of my lip lifted before saying softly, "We'll be okay."

Newt glanced between Thomas and I with uncertainty before nodding and carefully pushing past us.

Once Newt was out of earshot, I turned my gaze to Thomas opening my mouth to speak. But with Newt still caught in my mind, I couldn't help but feel guilty about keeping him in the dark about Thomas and the girl seeming familiar to me. I lied and I'm still lying. The sour feeling of guilt in my stomach grew until Thomas' voice cut it off, "Stop feeling guilty."

I looked to him with a confused expression, my eyes flickering to the side for a second before focusing back on Thomas, "Sorry?"

"Stop feeling guilty. Your expression clearly says it." Thomas said pointing a finger at me.

"But I'm lying to him. He doesn't deserve that." I whispered to Thomas.

Thomas' eyes softened at me, before lowering her voice, speaking to me with more care, "Listen...you're not lying selfishly. You're helping others. When we figure out what's going on, then you can tell him. He'll understand."

I nodded, biting my lip thinking over all the possible reactions that Newt could show. Many weren't good.

Shaking my thoughts, I looked back up at Thomas, refusing to meet his gaze. "We need to go talk to Minho. We should go find him."

Without waiting for a response, I turned and headed out the door. I didn't want to talk about Newt at that moment. If I did, I might spill everything to Newt.

I didn't have to look that far for Minho. He was already standing outside of Homestead, watching something across the Glade. I walked up behind him, patting his shoulder. I looked across Glade, spotting the Runners sitting against the trees just by the Forest, looking like a bunch of lost puppies.

Without anything needing to be said, Minho began explaining as Thomas stood by his right, "They quit. Every single one of them. Shuck-faces are too scared t'go back in the maze now that Alby has been Stung."