Chapter 38

Gally fell to his knees with an exhausted grunt, his chest heaving hard for oxygen. His skin was a sick pale, almost green. His neck muscles flexed every time air would weave through his lungs. His entire body trembled, his shoulders shook as he began to seethe in speech.

"They'll kill you," a psychotic snarl left Gally's scratchy throat and wormed out from his rolled lips, "The grievers will kill you all - one every night 'til it's over."

No one moved. There was too much going on for any of us to comprehend anything. Minho stood the closest to Gally, his spiky black hair flicking into my view as I watched Gally stumble to his feet. Thomas took a step back, bumping into my chest and pressing my rear to the wooden wall. As Gally staggered in attempts to balance himself, Newt took the chance to wrap his long fingers around my wrist and slowly tug me away from Thomas's backtracking. Newt had stepped in front of me, noticing Gally's instability.

Gally twisted towards Thomas, his eyes piercing disturbing holes into the horrified brown-haired man next to me. Thomas looked pale, paler than usually. The colour drained from his face as his mouth stayed agape.

Gally sneered his yellow and red-stained teeth, leaving no space between Thomas and himself. Saliva surfaced between Gally's teeth as pure fury filtered into his expression. I wasn't even worried about the griever anymore - I was worried about Gally.

"You," Gally snarled like a wild animal, drool dripping down his chin, "You did this! It's all your fault!"

It happened quick and I don't think anyone saw it coming. Yet, once Gally lifted his fist and connected it to Thomas's ear - it was then when all hell broke loose. A low growl left my heaving chest and an irritating heat took over my skin. Fury filled me as an antagonizing need to protect Thomas consumed my soul. My rage grew rapid in only a few milliseconds. It built and built until I blindly shoved my way past Newt. I maneuvered quickly over to Gally, gluing my gaze to him. My hands lifted and I roughly pushed against his chest and shoved him to the back wall, next to the window.

I expected him to retaliate, but he didn't. Once Gally's eyes fell upon me, his eyebrows dropped into a pained look. His hands shook as he took a step towards me. My rage had cleared into confusion and concern as I back into Newt's chest. I felt Newt gently grasp my arms below my shoulders, trembling himself as Minho yanked Thomas back to his clumsy feet. Tears slipped down Gally's cheeks as he studied my stiff stance. That's when I recognized his bloodshot eyes.

How did I not notice before? I thought with a pang.

When Gally ran, he must've been Stung.

"I remember you more. I remember you the most," Gally's voice quivered as he took a step in my direction, stopping himself from advancing, "I thought you were bad. I thought you were like them, but y-you're not. I thought you were the worst. Watching you kill that...m-man...it was always in my head. I thought you were a killer,"

Killer.

"But you're not. Y-you saved us. He was going to hurt us and you-you bashed it over the head. I didn't know that part until now!" Gally pleaded, his voice raw. He stared at me with wide eyes, glazing over in jumbled thoughts.

Newt squeezed my shoulders tightly, curling his fingers around me possessively incase I were to slip from his grip. I glanced towards Thomas and Minho switching their gazes between Gally and I. Thomas looked completely baffled while Minho began to dig his cold stare into Gally's head.

Murderer.

I stole someone's life.

Another rumble surfaced from the crunching Homestead, reminding everyone of the danger only outside the window. Shouts came from the rooms around us, snapping Gally back into whatever crazed state consumed him.