Chapter 43

Hey Brother - Avicii

____________________

I stared up to where the bright blue sky used to be, longing for its colour. For what may be the last time, I laid in the tree that I claimed as my own, reminiscing on the days where I would escape my responsibilities and hide up here like the little bitch I felt like being.

My left leg hung over the side of the branch, swinging carelessly through the leaves below. My hands clutched the branch beneath my rear, stabilizing my lean as I ignored the nagging anticipation for our grand escape tonight.

The moment the Gathering ended and everyone scattered to their designated workers, I took off into the Deadheads, seeking just a moment to relax and gather my thoughts. Everything said in the Gathering weighed heavy on my shoulders as I tried not to forget them.

To remember them, I organized my memories into categories: the state of the world, who I am, W.I.C.K.E.D. is bullshit, and everything afterwards.

So far, the world doesn't seem too grand. According to Alby, he saw burnt land and a widespread disease called "the Flare". With the name of the disease, the concept of "burnt land", and W.I.C.K.E.D.'s acronym, I can only imagine that the world has gone through a pyro-apocalyptic phase. The cause of it can be many things: a world war, global warming, aliens, who knows? However, according to Alby, the world has become a giant shit show that we'll probably have to face after the Maze. And it'll probably involve fire or heat.

For me, apparently, I'm many things. My name isn't my name, but a nickname to Amelia Earhart. In my dreams, sometimes I'm called Amy and others I'm called Ame. Maybe with how weird my "name" is, it can get mixed up with Amy. But again, who knows? Not me, obviously. I'm also "the Beginning", which is another open-ended answer. From what it seems like, I was the trigger to the beginning of the end. It makes sense in a weird and twisted way. To test the Glader's reactions, they sent me as the Beginning of a new Glade era where women could now appear in Glade just as much as boys. Or at least, that's what the Creator's wanted the Gladers to think. Then when Teresa woke up as the Ending, it ended the Glade era completely and entered us into a situation where we have no choice but to escape.

To be frank, everything changed the moment I was sent up, and everything went to shit when Teresa woke up. The whole "Beginning", "Ending", and Variable crap is very confusing.

I really hope after all this kerfuffle, the Creators will give us manuals to explain what the hell is going on.

According to Gally, I killed someone and according to Alby, I tried to save him from a bunch of guards. Newt has a theory that I was being trained before the Maze and Thomas backed it, claiming that because I wasn't easily "containable" by W.I.C.K.E.D. they placed me into training. Which explains why fighting comes easier than talking about my feelings. He also said how I left the facility for awhile before returning for a bit. Without a direct answer, I could be many things. The most realistic answer would be a soldier - which would make sense if there was a world war. Or possibly a guard for the facility. Either way, I was involved in fighting and athletics.

I share a telepathic connection with Thomas and Teresa. Thomas said I wasn't that involved in helping design the Maze, however, they used Teresa and Thomas because of their gift, if I'm correct. So, why didn't they use me if I have the same gift?

I don't even need to go over why W.I.C.K.E.D. is bullshit, it explains itself.

Speak of the devil, I thought as I heard leaves rustling from just above my head. I barely jumped at the noise as I gazed upwards, meeting the red beady eyes of a Beetle Blade.