Chapter 8

Cough Syrup - Young the Giant
__________

The three of us sat under the same tree, playing Would You Rather. Chuck and I thought that it would've been a good idea for Thomas. You know, to get his mind off of asking questions and the whole memory-loss thing. He did ask questions in between the game but Chuck always found a way to change the subject. I think I was doing it for myself, too. I needed to keep my mind off of everything going on. Nothing had officially made sense yet. They were still just words and names but nothing registered.

"Okay, Ame. Would you rather live in a super hot place or a super cold place?" Chuck asked, keeping his gaze on the sky.

I wrinkled my face up, thinking of the Pros and Cons of each place, "A cold place."

"Why?" Chuck looked at me with a scrunched up nose making me smile at his childish features.

"Uh, hello. Look at me. Just look at me. I'm as white as Frosty the Snowman. Do you know what happens when snow is under the sun? Frosty melts and goes 'bye-bye'." I threw my arms around dramatically.

Chuck laughed while Thomas stared at something in the distance, chuckling and shaking his head.

I pointed a finger Thomas' face jokingly, having an amused smirk caked on my face, "Don't laugh at me, T. You're practically as pale as I am."

"We'll melt together then." Thomas smirked, continuing to stare at the Walls, I presume.

"Hell yeah, melting buddy," I mused lazily, kicking my feet up to lean against the tree.

"What about you, Thomas? Would you rather live in a super hot place or a super cold place?" Chuck asked, while twirling a blade of grass between his hands.

I closed my eyes, waiting for Thomas to answer or give his opinion on either-or, but his voice never came. Instead there was silence from him. Only the distant sounds of Gladers and a small echo of pig snorting. I assumed he was thinking about his answer, but after a few minutes went by with nothing but silence, I finally opened my eyes and noticed that Thomas was staring at the walls surrounding the Glade.

I propped myself up onto my elbows, keeping a blank look on my face. I already knew what was wrong with him. He was curious of his surroundings. I would know because I'm still like that.

"What's out there?" He muttered, his eyebrows knitting together.

"What?" Chuck asked, sitting up.

"Is this part of a huge castle or something?" Thomas asked us directly this time.

I smirked, feeling the sarcasm beginning to drip from my mouth, "Yes, it is. Everyone here are peasants. Except me. I'm a Princess."

"A Princess?" Chuck raised an eyebrow with an amused smile.

"Yes. I'm a Princess with a tiara and everything," I said dramatically, flipping my blonde hair over my shoulder.

"If you're a Princess, then what am I?" Chuck laughed at my playfulness.

"My servant. Massage my feet." I pointed my feet at him.

"Guys." Thomas snapped us out of our joking.

Chuck and I turned our heads towards him, and my eyes instantaneously locked with his pleading brown eyes.

"I'm serious." He looked so pained and so confused, I felt a pang in my chest.

I glanced over a Chuck, hoping that he would have some sort of excuse to get us out of this situation. Chuck became very nervous at being put on spot, his mouth bobbing up and down.