Chapter 17

I changed into my beige shorts, sprawling my wet jeans across the top of the crate to dry. They were pretty damp so I don't think I'll be wearing these for awhile.

I sighed out loud, running a hand through my wild hair not really sure what to do now.

I don't want to go back downstairs where all those Gladers are lounging. I don't really feel like being stared at like the whole Maze was my fault.

I stood by the window, staring at the East Walls, imagining the Runners running through the Doors and the Maze.

At the thought of the Runners, I got a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. The longer I stared at the Doors, the more the feeling in my stomach grew. It was as if I was being drawn to the Doors.

I wanted to go into the Maze.

I want to try and find a way out of here.

I need to.

My thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the unstable door, followed by a familiar British voice, "Decent?"

"Yup." I popped the "p", with no humour.

Newt peeked his head in and sent me a bright smile, before full stepping into the room.

He closed the door behind him, before looking towards me. He tilted his head to the side, giving me a puzzled look, "What's wrong?"

"What?" I asked confused.

"You look...like you're thinking? Somethin' on your mind, Amesie?" Newt inferred, closing the door behind him.

I looked down then out the window, not really sure how to explain what's on my mind.

"Ame?" Newt took a step towards me.

Better ask now. My thoughts screamed.

"What do you have to do? To be a Runner?" I asked, looking at him with furrowed brows and a curious look.

"What?" Newt ask incredulously.

"What do you have to do to be a Runner?" I asked again with a nod of clarity. I felt incredibly nervous about asking him. The last time I brought up something like this, he blew a gasket.

"Are you serious? First Tommy and now you? What's with the Greenies now-a-days?" Newt asked himself, running a hand through his shaggy blonde hair.

"Thomas asked...?" I said more to myself than to anybody.

"Look, Ame, y'have to be best of the absolute best t'be one of those bloody shanks. It's a lot of buggin' work t'even get the Council to glance your way." Newt told, trying to hold his voice down while he stared at me, sternly.

"Well, I don't think it'd be that hard," I scratched my head nervously, while smiling awkwardly, "to spot the only girl awake in Glade."

"Ame, you're missin' the point. This is way outta your limits." Newt told sternly.

"My 'limits'? That's a load of shit," I laughed with no humour, "You don't even know what my limits are!"

"Bein' a Runner isn't all fun and games! It's risky and dangerous. Your life isn't just on the buggin' line; but the rest of ours is too!" Newt hissed, looking at me as if I've gone insane.

"Newt, if you just gave me a shot, I know I can do!" I argued.

"You just got here, Ame!" Newt argued back, taking a step towards me.

"I know but I just have this feeling-" I fought back weakly.

"A feeling? You wanna risk your own life over a bloody feeling?" Newt inquired, narrowing his eyes in aggravation.