Chapter 5

Lost - Frank Ocean
__________

Alby hauled me around Glade pointing at all sorts of different things and naming names that I knew I wouldn't be able to remember. He told me about each job here and who runs them. A lot of these people had weird names. Actually, a lot of things here have weird names.

I wanted to ask questions but Alby told me that if I don't wait to ask questions until the end of the tour of Glade, he'll throw me off the Cliff, and feed me to the Grievers.

No, thank you.

So, I kept my mouth shut. I almost asked a question, a couple times actually, but I restrained my thoughts. After asking Newt about the Grievers and seeing the result, it's probably safer if I just kept my mouth shut.

I learned what every building was called and what their purpose to Glade was.

Remind me not to get a job at the Blood House.

We were almost at the end of the tour. And I was getting anxious to ask questions. If I have to wait any longer, I won't be able to hang on to the questions any longer. I'll either burst or forget them.

Alby lead me towards one of the Maze entries, and for a brief second all the questions about Glade subsided and was overlapped with more questions about the Maze.

"This is the West Entry. Runners go through here at sunrise and return five minutes from the closing. I'm pretty sure you, lady shank, already know the consequences of steppin' outside of Glade if you ain't a Runner?" Alby asked with a bored look.

"Yeah, I got it. You'll throw me off the Cliff and feed me to the Grievers." I said with a bland, flat tone and keeping my eyes on him and my hands on my hips.

"Good that. At least we got that settled." Alby muttered, walking away.

I suppose I should be following Alby to our last destination on the tour but I just needed a closer look at the Maze.

I stood at the edge of Glade, my toes barely touching concrete line that separated the Maze from Glade. I stared at my feet, feeling a little nervous to look up into the Maze. After seeing the Griever crawl through the corridors this morning, a part of me worried that I would see it coming down this one.

I blinked down at the tips of my boots before slowly bringing my curious gaze up to the scene of the Maze.

Large grey walls towered on either side, ivy dressing the concrete with an array of different greens, and a bright sun that illuminated the Maze in a silvery hue.

I had a strange urge to just run. To find a way out.

I wanted to help get these kids out of here. For them to run back to their families and live their lives being kids. Not as adults who have full time jobs on a farm. They should be skateboarding, swinging on swings, traveling, and being kids.

I wanted to find a way out of here. I wanted to help.

"Greenbean!" I heard Alby shout from behind.

I glanced behind me shoulder, spotting his brooding frame next to the Box, waiting for me.

I looked back at the Maze briefly, carving the design of this entrance into my mind. Though, I don't think I could forget—the entrance was massive and absolutely astonishing. If it wasn't the reason for our entrapment, I would smile at the magnificent sight.

With a final glance, I turned away and jogged towards Alby's broad frame, my chest burning with resolute and feverish determination.

I'm going to help. I don't know how but I will. Somehow and someway. I'll get us out of the Glade.