39. What a Surprise!

Hoseok

"Happy birthday, Jin!" I scream as soon as I get in his car, a sexy drool worthy black M6 Convertible he usually drives when he's in the mood. I love that bitch.

"Fuck off."

Yeah.

He hates birthdays.

"So, where are we headed to now?" I ask, ignoring his unusual way of greeting as I light my cigarette and he squashes his, maybe, 15th cigarette in the car ashtray.

"Penthouse. Taehyung called," he says as he starts the car and hits the road.

"Please act surprised."

"You know I do."

"Like fuck you do. The last time he almost figured out that you already knew about his surprise party." I say.

Truth be told, it was an absolute shitshow that day, last year.

Innocent little Taehyung was almost on the verge of tears when he saw Seokjin being aloof at the surprise party, as if he knew everything about it. It took a whole lot of cajoling from my side and enough convincing from Jin's side to let Taehyung know that his party was a success.

"You know well why I was like that, Hoseok. My uncle is not my favorite face to look at."

Yeah.

Truth be told, ever since Seokjin found out about his mother's affair with his uncle and that Taehyung was his uncle's son, he stopped associating with him. It was only because of Seokjin's attachment to Taehyung that he tolerated that man. Not because of his mother.

That's the story for another day.

We drove in silence with the air ruffling our hair, the smoke surrounding us and a smooth beat thumping on his console, acting as a white noise to our emptiness.

It was like this most of the time and neither of us complained. This silence was like an antidote to the shitstorm in our everyday lives. Mostly, the shitstorms we create.

"We're here." His voice reverberated as he shut the engine down.

Time always flies like a blur when I'm with him.

No sooner, we were in front of the penthouse with Seokjin entering the pass code for us to enter. The wide corridor was looming with quietness and I had a very bad feeling about this.

Something really felt wrong.

I swear I could feel it in my bones. Granted, I was a lanky 15 year old but my intuitions never fucking failed me. They helped me in the most inopportune times.

The moment we stepped in the building I could feel a terrible sense of foreboding and I did not like it.

I looked at Seokjin as the door opened with a beep and judging from his frown, I understood that he felt it too.

We looked at each other for a moment and immediately dashed in the house. It was too quiet.

Way too quiet.

We took cautious yet hurried steps inside and found it completely dark.

Surprise parties weren't supposed to be dark. This was some ominous shit.