23. Lucked Out

Taehyung

Okay...

He is stressed. Way too much.

Hyung and I were in the study, sprawled on a white cotton comforter which I smuggled in last night, all because I wanted a change of place to sleep. It's been a long habit of mine as long as I remember. 

We were lying side by side, our arms touching and our eyes trained on the ceiling. He was smoking and I was just there, beside him. Our soft breathing and the distant hum of the radiator could be heard in the quiet of the room and it was the most peaceful thing ever.

We often spent our free time like this. Side by side, with him smoking most of the time, looking up and always thinking and I would just be there, finding solace in his presence. That was all I ever wanted.

I turned my head to my left to see him and was once again mesmerised by the aura he exuded. Calm, composed yet highly volatile. Kim Seokjin was like that, that too, as far as I remembered.

As usual, I couldn't help but admire his face–those hard and soft features blended perfectly, just like his personality.

He had his left arm under his head to give it some leverage and his legs, crossed. The only movement coming from him was the occasional holding of his cigarette to blow out smoke from his mouth and the slow rising and falling of his chest as he breathed. That's it. Apart from that, everything about him was stationary.

He was definitely thinking about something because there was a faint crease in his eyebrows as he intently watched the dull patterns on the ceiling. He always did that when he was deep in thoughts. I never asked him what he was thinking because the answers mostly turn out futile.

I looked and looked, never for once getting tired.

I sure was lucky.

Naturally, he must have sensed my stare as his brows softened considerably and he whispered a low "What?" without looking at me.

I shook my head 'no' thinking that he could see me from the corner of his vision.

He let out a soft sigh and sat up, crushing his cigarette on the marble floor beneath. I did the same without taking my eyes off him.

He looked at me and gave me a small smile.

"The company's fucked, dude."

I didn't answer. He'd rather I wouldn't say anything regarding the company and anything associated with it. But I was always ears when he wanted to vent. At times when even Hoseok couldn't handle his outbursts.

"Hoojun did a lot of damage to the stocks as well as the turnover  this year. Hoseok says it's worse than the past five years combined," he said low and tiredly.

I was listening very intently with my arms crossed on my knees, hanging onto his every word.

He ran a hand over his hair and sighed loudly this time.

"The company is in need of a huge investment and nobody's ready to take that risk. Except for one idiot. And he wants it through a marriage alliance."

"Hyung.."

Marriage is a big no. Especially to him.

"Yeah. He wants me to marry his eldest daughter. Why? I don't know. I haven't even met her."

I hummed in response.

"There is one week for the will to be disclosed and I'm not even surprised about what it holds."

That's true. After Kim Hoojun's death, it's really no surprise that his entire wealth would be granted to his heir, Seokjn hyung, if he succumbs to the age old tradition of marrying an heiress and beget a child from her.

"I will never do that." His voice raises a little bit. "I will never jeopardize an innocent life just so I can accomplish my purpose. Not again."

I can understand that. The living examples are right in front of each other.

The two mistakes of Kim Jihye, our mother—hyung's father's wife and my father's lover.

"But I have to do something. Or else, we'll be done for. I can't afford to repeat the same mistakes which our fathers did."

I leaned forward and hugged his torso. He was a bit taken aback but wrapped his one arm around my head and slowly patted it.

"You'll go through this. I trust you." I whispered and raised my head to meet his eyes. "You're more stronger than you think. They can't even compare."

The smile he gave me then was worth everything.

I smiled back at him and hugged him again.

"There's a reason grandfather chose you." 

He chuckled. "I know that, kid."

I chuckled along with him. The air was definitely lighter now. Despite the strong smell of smoke. I swear it follows him wherever he goes.

I like it.

"Talk to her once. I'm sure you'll come to an understanding." I said.

Hearing this, his body stiffened. I straightened up and looked at him, curiosity clawing within me.

"That's highly unlikely, Taehyung." He sounded so sure.

"Why?"

"Because I slept with her sister and I loved every moment of it."