Chapter 2: I approve

-Akeno Third POV-

'The outside is boring.'

That was Himejima Akeno's thought when she first attended school.

She always felt safe at the shrine, where she was always with her mother or father. The former demonstrated how to carry out the numerous chores and duties expected of a future Miko—cleaning, cooking, and even learning how to purify wandering spirits are all taught to her. She genuinely enjoyed every minute of it, and her mother always had a bright smile on her face whenever they were together. But her favorite activity so far had been tea making, which she excelled in, much to her mother's joy.

Her father never spoke much, preferring to sit back and observe them as they went about their Miko duties. Many visitors avoided him because of his frightening appearance, but her mother assured her that he was just a big snuffy teddy bear on the inside. He taught her how to use Holy Lightning, a type of magic that only the two of them possessed.

'At first, I was a bit apprehensive at using it, the loud noise of thunder and its destructive nature always scared me when I was not focusing. But Father showed me how to control and not fear it. According to him, I am a natural with Holy lighting.'

But then came school. She hated it at first—she was away from both her mother and father, and she was forced to play with strangers. She was even banned from using her powers on the kids. 'Humpf, the boys are so annoying, I wish I could just zap them away.' She always wanted to try using her lightning on someone, but her parents told her otherwise.

Every day was the same old boring routine. The only time of the day she would enjoy was when the teachers would start their lessons on how to read and write.

But then everything changed when he appeared—Hikikig- Himiki- Hikaku- Hikigaya Hachiman. He has a difficult name to remember, so she just calls him 'Hikima'. He was different from the rest, just like her. It was obvious that he didn't like the place and the other kids at all. Furthermore, he was quiet—a loner—and that he had the scariest looking eyes that reminded her of a dead fish she had seen at the market with her mother yesterday.

Trying to approach him was not easy, he would tell her to go away, but of course, she didn't want to. He was the only interesting person there, and she wanted to know him more, so she followed him around.

Hikima obviously didn't like it and tried glaring at her, wishing to scare her off. 'Remember Akeno, those who have the scariest eyes are sometimes the softest of people, just like your father fufufufu. Yes, really soft...' She remembered her mother's words and how they made her father's face all red. So every time he glared at her with his dead fish eyes, she would then be reminded of her father, thus making her feel safer around him.

He was also super intelligent. Half of the time he would use difficult words and make it hard for her to understand him, but she persisted. And in the end, it seemed that he just gave up chasing her off and instead would resort to pinching her cheeks. It was embarrassing and no amount of protest would stop him from doing that, but she still grew to love her time with him and how his hands touched her face.

It made her feel warm.

Maybe she could invite him to the shrine so that they could spend more time together and get more of that warm feeling. 'He could become friends with Father too since they both have scary faces.'

"Neh, Hikima come play with me!"

{Break}

(1 year later)

-Hachiman POV-

I sighed in despair.

What a drag! That is what a certain pineapple-head ninja in one of the manga I used to read would say, and now I understand why. I can say for certain that I have never, until this moment, ever felt so relatable with the guy. How else could I not? I was in my last year of kindergarten and would soon start elementary. Which in itself is a huge sort of stress—having already done and passed all of these classes in my past life and nearly graduating, having to restart everything from zero really put a damper on my mood, not that my mood was great, to begin with, but you get my point.