Chapter 84: Touki?

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

--Underworld-

"Did we even need to be here?" Was the question I asked myself for the tenth time in less than an hour. 

When one thought of a hidden lair belonging to the Old Satan Faction, the presence of hundreds of overpowered individuals and weird eldritch horrors was the bare minimum. Which was why I didn't stress as much when Sairaorg and Tiamat joined me on this mission. One was a Dragon King, with Vritra praising her as an unofficial Dragon Emperor, and finally, the strongest Devil of the Younger Generation. 

But now, as I sat on the back of a pile of unconscious mages that grew big enough to form a small hill — I started to question everything. 

"Vritra," I called the only teacher/mentor/know-it-all I knew who could answer my question accurately without hiding behind vague wordplay. 

"Yes, partner?" 

"Was it always this easy to defeat a large group of mages?" Something was amiss. No way I alone managed to defeat so many mages without suffering the slightest injury. I wanted to ask Tiamat if she didn't make a mistake and led us to the wrong enemy territory. "I'm starting to think we attacked the wrong group." 

"I can understand why you would feel as such, but yes, these people are associated with the Old Satan Faction. As for why you're experiencing this foreign feeling, this is your first time after a long time to not face an opponent that can destroy a town with a single spell. Think about it, there was Kuroka and Kokabiel, and you've been hanging around Ophis a lot recently. Your sense of scaling regular enemies has been skewed and twisted beyond recognition. Oh, and remember, you also deployed Delete Field in a large area. This level of intensity disables nearly every average mage from using most of their abilities.” 

Ah, I instinctively used my original Sacred Gear as Rias’s cousin dragged me from Tiamat's back. I honestly grew so used to my enemies not getting affected by its effects that I completely forgot that not everyone was a complete monster that just shrugged off the effects. Delete Field, along with the other Vritra Gears, were powerful weapons by themselves when used in the right hands.

[Shadow Prison!]

I casually jumped away from the pile of groaning mages who were taken down by both myself and Sairaorg. Their faces were beaten black and blue, with some suffering from numerous broken bones. With little interest, I watched as the black flames covered their limbs and bodies to render each and every one of them incapable of moving. Some screamed, thinking that I was going to burn them alive, starting to beg me for mercy before screaming as the fire reached them. The laugh I got out of their reaction after realizing their skin wasn't burning off made it all worth it.

"I don't even need to use my runes… bummer. Would have been a perfect time to practice them against their large numbe—" I stopped mid-speech to hastily scribbled an Algiz "Y" rune, the glowing yellow letter turning into a transparent dome around my body which blocked a giant fireball cast by another mage emerging from the hidden lair. 

"They just never stop coming…" I heard Sairaorg speak, the man just casually standing beside me without having used any sort of magical protection, tanking the fire as if it wasn't even there. "Whoever is inside, aside from the Greek god Hephaestus, must be a high-ranking member of the Old Satan Faction." 

"You think so?" I said, using the gecko-like tongue of the Absorption line to catch the first mage's ankle, followed by slamming them down to the ground. This was a technique I witnessed Saji using in the past and replicated after some practice. I even absorbed some of his mana to replenish my own to always keep it as high as possible in such a mission. "If it was so, then I would have expected something better than this. You can't expect me to believe that the group that has been giving Sirzechs and Serafall such a hard time is this incompetent."