Chapter 63: Ophis

Beta read by n1ch, Shigiya, Solitary heart and 8kagi

.

.

.

Kuoh-

Woosh!

Everything turned black, I was pulled by a force beyond anything I could muster against. It felt like I was sucked into a wormhole, and before I even realized it, I saw that I was on the outskirts of Kuoh.

"Hurg!" I gagged, feeling my stomach doing backflips from the intense ride, and was ready to lose my lunch. "Sweet Kami, that was terrible…"

After regaining my bearings, as well as keeping my lunch down, I took a look at my surroundings. I nearly panicked when I realized that I was not standing on solid ground, but on a damn cloud! But when I looked up, I stopped in my panic. Being so high up in the sky, outside of light pollution that was common in cities, I was presented with a majestic view of the night sky, seeing the moon shine over the lands and the stars shine like precious gems. Incredibly corny, but it was the best way I could describe it without being a poet. I rarely get to see it when I fly around, being so busy at times, and when I do, I feel so relaxed in the end.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel relaxed at this moment.

"Vritra, why the heck is one of the most dangerous beings in existence a small girl? And why didn’t you tell me before I decided to take her out to eat ice cream like a little child?"

I myself did not know why this was my first priority, but I think it’s because I was still panicking.

"Uh… I have no answers for you, partner. I guess Ophis had a sweet tooth? Which is strange, since she never showed interest in food, or anything for that matter. As for her current form, probably chosen to blend more in modern times."

"And that means turning into a little gothic lollita with black tape nipple covers?"

Like seriously, I thanked the waitress for having given her that jacket to cover up her chest, or I would have been behind a jail cell by now if I was seen hanging around with her dressed like that.

"You have to admit, humans have weird tastes in this day and age, and you're no better partner. I have seen the things you've browsed through the internet and don’t even get me started on your dreams."

"Don't blame me for that!" I yelled at the dragon. "That was Rias and Akeno’s search history that they forgot to delete from my computer or them trying to prank me… and since when did you start snooping around such things!? My dreams are off limits!"

I still hadn't talked with Vritra about my past life. I didn't know if the dragon knew about it and just chose to remain quiet and was maybe waiting for me to bring it forward. It was bound to happen... And I didn't really get the time to do so lately.

"It is boring in here, at least I get to pass the time with watching you fumble with your relationships, reading those manga literature books of yours and listening to your hours long 'studying music'. Though I would request that you read something other than Dragso-ball, the power scaling is really inconsistent. Maybe something with more mystery, like that Detective Kalo series. It seems interesting."

"We'll talk about this later, for now, we are dangling in the middle of the night sky with a Dragon God taking me hostage!" I said, slightly panicking over finding where Ophis was.

Even using spells to improve to see clearer around me, I found little to no trace of hers.

"Where did she go…?" I said to myself, feeling my heart palpitate with fear and anxiety at not being able to spot such a powerful being. "What happened before, Vritra? Why was your voice so broken?"