Set in motion

Beta read by n1ch, Shigiya, Solitary heart and 8kagi

.

.

.

-Old abandoned church-

When I first accepted to let Asia live under my and Azazel's protection, I didn't really think too much about her future at that point. My goal was to give the excommunicated nun a safe environment to grow up and finish school in a few years. Attend university, pursue a career she desires and start living an independent life outside of the church.

Of course, the fact that she bore Twilight Healing as her Sacred Gear was not lost on me. No matter their power, strength, or classification—these items always made it impossible for their host to live a normal or peaceful life. Like a sick curse, God left for those 'lucky' enough to be chosen, probably as a way to counter their good fortune. One could possess the power to simply make flowers bloom a few days sooner and suddenly find themselves being hunted by rogue Devils, Exorcists, and Fallens for just being in possession of a gear. There could exist a mage thousand of times more powerful than an average human roaming the Earth without a faction to serve, yet they could easily be glossed over by all the pantheons for the simple reason of them not possessing a Sacred Gear.

These items just carried too much power and the ridiculous ability to grow infinitely stronger depending on the user’s will.

Those who wielded Longinus were not the only ones who had access to a god-killing tool, they just had the ability to attain that power much faster than your regular Sacred Gear. Just like Vritra once told me, achieving a balance breaker meant breaking the norms and all the limitations to go beyond anything thought possible—and every gear could theoretically reach this point with enough training.

Asia was cursed from the beginning. To never be granted the life she wished to live. No matter how much she would have prayed or cried to God, for no such misfortune befall her, in the end, the inevitable would happen.

Vritra liked to talk about my luck being so bad due to a dragon's inherent nature of attracting danger and powerful beings towards them. But was that really true for only dragon gears?

I didn't think so.

I knew this. From the beginning, I knew that Asia would never remain truly safe around people like the other holders of Sacred Gears and me. Kiba, Gasper, and Sona's peerage. We all acted as a gigantic magnet for trouble, and what do you know, Kokabiel roamed Kuoh with the bloody holy swords, ready to use them for whatever purpose he desires.

I wanted to deny it.

Asia was safe with me.

She wouldn't be hurt.

Nothing bad would happen to her.

She was safe with me!

She was safe!

She was safe…

She… was safe…

She…

I would make sure that…

.

.

.

…She would be killed at one point in the future due to my presence. Or at least, get caught up with another dangerous battle and get hurt.

It was inevitable with everything going on around me. It was a miracle how she was still alive with all of that Raynare thing in the past. I

"You're taking Asia away," I said, not bothering to hide the pain in my voice.