Chapter 11: Danger nearby

Beta read by n1ch, check out his fic it's amazing!

.

.

.

-Kuoh-

You know I wondered where I went wrong.

I always took pride in my self-awareness and general understanding of how bad life can be.

'Youth' was a lie, a stage that we all went through at point in our lives.

The mere existence of the word was an illusion; a timeframe in which people who were confused about their own identity and insecurities, developed their own mask. They hid behind it and projected a completely different personality in order to gain attention.

That was one of the reasons I came to despise Hayama; that guy is the best mask user I'd ever met. He founded his clique and became its sole supporter.

He was the glue binding everyone together.

Hayama, of course, was well aware of this fact; the guy lived a lie and enjoyed it. His relationships were nothing but a sham.

And you know what frustrated me the most? The fact that the current me could be grouped together with the likes of him!

I wanted to deny it with every fibre of my being, but I couldn't. Especially after seeing what was happening in front of me.

"Rias..."

"Akeno..."

The two girls faced each other, one completely naked and the other dressed in her regular uniform.

"I'm hoping this isn't what I'm assuming." Akeno's lips curled into a smile, but her eyes said otherwise.

When I saw an angry Akeno, I knew it was never a good news.

"And what if it was?" Rias confronted her queen and stood her ground not the least bit intimidated, her stubborn nature showing itself.

"I know Hachiman-kun didn't do anything to you, but for you to show such intention is... unexpected. I would prefer, however, that you could do it with someone else." A dangerous white aura encircled her, with lightning bolts erupting from every direction.

"He is, after all, mine."

This was wrong. Since when did my life become a budget teen rom-com drama?

"But your relationship was never formalized; you kissed him, yes, but he has yet to call you his girlfriend. So, this is fair play, Akeno!" Rias was surrounded by a similarly intense crimson aura, which caused her hair to hover in every corner.

"What fair play? Rias, I thought you disliked him before, and now you're saying you like him?"

The sparks between her fingers gathered into a small sphere, ready to strike.

"Instead of stealing him from me maybe you should be concerned about your own situation. A certain arrangement in the Underworld comes to mind."

This was not their fault... but mine instead.

"This has nothing to do with it! I want him by my side even if he isn't in my peerage." A similar sphere appeared on Rias' palm but this one glowed red, "When I'm with him, anything feels possible."

They were both moments away from attacking each other.

This could not continue on for any longer, so I decided to put an end to this drama. Forcibly.

"Enough!"

[Delete Field!] [Restrict!]

My Sacred Gear manifested on my chest and shoulder as a pauldron, its violet gem radiating power as I unleashed my strongest ability.