Chapter 82: Sibling Love

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-???-

Kuroka's head felt fuzzy, a throbbing headache that felt like it was about to split her head into two.

When was the last time she experienced such a sensation? Perhaps all those years when she escaped her former King's domain, forced to survive on scraps and struggle every passing second just to live another day. Running for months, having everyone hunt her like the Stray she was labelled by the Devils.

Hunted by all sides, Angels, Fallens, Devils and basically every pantheon in existence. She hated this feeling, to remind her of a past she buried deep within her memory with the hope to one day move on from it and forget. No amount of Senjutsu or Youjutsu was capable of relieving the trauma, so it was better to slip away if possible.

Groggily, the woman groaned while trying to open her eyelids - soft. The comfort of the bed she slept on gave the sensation as if she layed on a piece of cloud. Neither feeling too hot or cold, just warm and... safe? She recalled facing Shirone, wanting to take her away from these devils to a safer place.

Somewhere where she would be protected by her big sister against all odds. For now she had the strength and desire to never run away ever again, the decision of the past weighing heavily on her heart every single day. Yet much to her dismay and frustration, that Knight of Gremory came and ruined her perfect plan!

Though she wasn't worried as he wasn't a threat to her. His Sacred Gear on the other hand was dangerous, that she was willing to admit. Like a slow acting poison on her powers weakening them gradually with every strike or touch, where if by a streak of bad decision making the battle dragged on for too long, then he would have gotten the upper hand eventually.

'That is of course if I don't just rip his head off immediately.'

Kuroka had many, so many chances to just end that man's life with a single move, a single slash of her claws to cut his life with ease or to rip out his heart if she wanted to - but the consequences were far too big to justify going that far. Aside from the Gremory family and Lucifer no longer bothering to hold back and start hunting her down with pure bloodlust... She also didn't want to traumatise Shirone any more than necessary.

Fear, that was supposed to be her main weapon in this negotiation. To use that emotion to force the little girl to take the decision to join her willingly rather than using force.

Yet that fear disappeared when those two appeared, and then... then she didn't remember what happened afterwards.

Just fish eyes, and tentacles for some reason.

Nevertheless, she had to wake up and leave wherever this place was. It neither smelled like their base and foreign with a hint of a familiar fragrance. Kuroka opened her eyes and faced a high white ceiling made of gold and marble. With highly detailed paintings from what looked like the renaissance era and the sound of paper moving near her.

"-!" Her senses sharpened as she collected herself, clarity returning to her mind. Pushing herself up from the bed, she discovered her old kimono was gone and replaced with a simple white pyjama that felt so smooth on her skin that it didn't cause any irritation.

A dream?

Wasn't she captured by the enemy in the end?

Honestly, she waited to be greeted by the sight of a dark, cold and wet dungeon whilst chained up from head to toe with countless restrictive spells keeping her power at bay. Perhaps surrounded by rats and insects to further enlarge the gravity of the present. Having to wait for Biko or Arthur to come by and help her out of this sticky mess. Yet here she was clothed and taken care of by these people who she considered her enemies.