Chapter 10: Rias

Beta read by Shigiya

.

.

.

-Rias POV-

She was recognized as the Gremory Clan's heir, one of the 72 Pillars' remaining Devil Clans and one of the highest-ranking Dukes. They controlled over a big portion of the underworld and possessed immense wealth that only a few other noble families could match.

To top it off, the eldest son of the Gremory family, her older brother, Sirzechs Lucifer, was one of the current Maou, the strongest of the four Satans and the current possessor of the title Lucifer in the underworld.

As a result, the Gremorys had a lot of important roles in the underworld. Many of the other noble clans were linked to the Gremory clan in some way.

It was so unsurprising that they had a great deal of obligation to uphold, including serving as significant role models for the remaining 72 pillars. And it came in the form of keeping their 'pure blood' count.

Devils could live for tens of thousands of years biologically, and some speculated that her kind could live indefinitely. Long before the tumultuous peace treaty between the three factions, the majority, if not all, devils died in battle; dying of old age was virtually unheard of.

Zekram Bael, the direct son of the original Lucifer, was the oldest living devil she knew. Even so, he was in great shape the last time she saw him, but their long life came with a curse. That curse was their low fertility rate, which was so dangerous that if it hadn't been for the help of the peerage system, their kind would have been wiped out completely.

When she thought about it, their common ancestor Lilith gave birth to an entire race by herself, but none of her descendants, with the exception of the Phenex clan, were gifted with the ability of a high fertility rate. The birth of a new member in any of the 72 pillars clans would be celebrated for an entire month.

She still remembered how long her nephew Milicas's party lasted. 'I'd had enough of seeing fancy dresses and champagne for years!'

Now that the peerage system was introduced by Ajuka Beelzebub, thousands of new reincarnated devils began to emerge from every corner, this did not sit well with the nobility. The fear of their pure blood being replaced by the new type of devils brought great fear into their hearts.

They began to encourage unions between high-class devils in order to 'preserve the pure blood' and with her being the next heir of the Gremory clan became engaged to the scion of the Phenex clan, Riser Phenex. 'That pig is the absolute worst person I ever had the displeasure to meet. He only sees me as a trophy wife and a potential sex slave!'

She had tried everything to persuade her parents to call off the wedding, but they refused, claiming that it was her duty as a high-class devil and the heir. Her brother never gave her a satisfactory response. She was well aware that he was powerless to intervene in this matter.

Becoming a Maou also meant giving up all ties to their clan and becoming a neutral party, which included giving up their family name. But he did give her some advice on how to get out of her current situation, a way out.

A rating game.

She had to win a match between her peerage against Riser's, who in addition to having all 15 pieces also had a few victories, secured under his belt.

That was her only chance of setting herself free, and she would do everything to win. But she first needed a full 15 members peerage, and so far she only had Akeno, Gasper, Kiba and her very recent member Koneko.