The Heirloom

A girl around her mid-teens was currently sitting in the middle of a park. She had fair skin, light blue eyes, and dark blue hair tied into two pigtails.

The girl was wearing a black v-neck shirt under a red jacket. She also had on dark blue jeans and pink flats.

The girl was sitting at a table with people surrounding her while wearing party hats. In front of the girl was a giant pink birthday cake that read Happy Birthday Marinette.

"Congratulations on your sweet sixteen, Marinette." Everyone says to the girl with a smile.

Marinette smiles happily.

"Thank you so much, everyone." Marinette says with a smile.

Everyone quickly got a piece of cake as multiple butlers began to cut it and serve it out.

A woman walked forward and clapped her hands. The woman looked to be in her early-to-middle 40s and similar to Marinette. She had fair skin, blue eyes, and short dark blue hair.

The woman wore a white cheongsam with a red, black, and gold plant design.

"Happy birthday, my little star." The woman said with a smile.

"Thanks, mom, This has been amazing so far." Marinette states with a smile.

"I've got a special gift for you later on. For now, why don't you enjoy the party with everyone." The mother states with a smile.

Marinette smiles at her mother and nods. After her mother walks away, another person walks up to Marinette.

This person was a boy around Marinette's age with chin-length raven hair, fair skin, and brown eyes.

The boy wore a black hoodie jacket over a black short-sleeve, grey jeans, and black and white sneakers. There were yellow lines going down the sleeves of the jacket. Over the boy's eyes were a pair of rectangular black-framed glasses.

"Congratulations, Marinette. You hit your sweet sixteen." The boy said with a slight smile.

"Thanks, Nathan, this is so exciting." Marinette said with a smile of her own.

"Especially since your stepdad is the city mayor. I mean, he threw a giant party for you to commemorate his new daughter's birthday." Nathan said as he sat next to Marinette on the table.

"Yeah, Tom is a nice guy, and I'm glad mom found him." Marinette states with a smile.

"Yep, the Dupain family is a nice one to be in. I've never seen Uncle Tom so happy either." Nathan said with a smile as he looked in the direction where Marinette's mother went.

He saw that she was kissing someone and hugging them.

The person they did this to was a large bulky man. The man had tan skin, short brown hair with sideburns, and a thick brown mustache.

The man wore a blue short-sleeve under a black business jacket, light brown pants, and brown shoes. Over the man's torso is a red, white, and blue sash.

"This isn't making you too uncomfortable, though, right? You're mom being with another man, I mean." Nathan asks Marinette.

"It's a little weird, I'll admit, but I'm still happy for mom. I think I'll be able to accept it after a little while." Marinette tells him.

Nathan nods upon hearing that answer. He understood Marinette's feelings on this.

"Alright, thought I'd just check how my new cousin is doing with these changes in her life." Nathan tells her with a smile.

"And I appreciate it, Nathan." Marinette said with a smile.

"So, how are you feeling about starting school here in a couple of days?" Nathan asks.