A Battle of Love and Hate

Marinette is in the kitchen with her mother as they happily prepare dishes together. As they do, Sabine decides to talk to her daughter about something.

"So, how have you been adjusting to the change in our lives, Marinette? I know it took a while to get used to living in Paris. Now we're living inside a luxurious hotel after I married the current mayor of Paris. It's quite strange what life can throw at you." Sabine tells her daughter with a light giggle.

Marinette smiles at her mom and can't help but lightly laugh with her when she thinks about what's happened in her life recently.

"Yeah, I never expected my life to take such a turn," Marinette tells her mom, her words having a double meaning behind them.

"Well, I'm glad to see you so happy with this change in your life. It's nice to see you and Nathanial getting along so well. I've almost always seen you two together." Sabine tells her daughter as she rolls some dough.

"Yeah, we've mostly focused on trying to solve the puzzle box you gave me," Marinette tells her mother.

It was the truth. Nate and Marinette have been trying to understand how to open the box again. Marinette just isn't telling her mom that they've already opened it once.

"Well, I'm not sure there's anything you can do if I'm being honest," Sabine tells her daughter with a heavy sigh.

Feeling the mood change, Marinette looks towards her mother in worry. Sabine gives her daughter a smile before waving her concerns off.

"Sorry, Mari. I didn't mean to drag down the atmosphere like that. I'm just not sure what the point of keeping that box is. I mean, we can't solve it or destroy it. I only passed it down to you because it's tradition, and I didn't see any harm in it." Sabine tells her daughter honestly.

"I-it's okay, mom. I can understand what you mean. I would probably feel the same way as you after some time." Marinette tells her mother with a smile on her face.

Sabine smiles at her daughter before a teasing thought comes to mind, causing her to smirk.

"So, are you sure there isn't anyone you'd like to spend today with instead of me? Like maybe one of those girls you brought to the hotel to hang out with?" Sabine asks her daughter with a teasing smirk.

Marinette looks at her mother and shrugs before saying.

"No, mom. They're my friends and groupmates for a project." Marinette tells her mother in a tone that suggests this isn't the first time her mom has brought this subject up.

"Alright then. If you're sure." Sabine tells her daughter with a smile.

Adrien and Nino went over the prizes they'd won today at a park bench. Adrien happily holds a giant stuffed dog while Nino laughs at his reaction.

"Jeez, dude. You're going crazy over that dog." Nino tells his friend with a grin.

"I can't help it. This is the first prize I've ever won at a booth." Adrien tells Nino with a smile as he holds the giant dog.

Nino laughs again at his friend's reaction before they suddenly hear screaming. Adrien inwardly groans and mentally pleads.

"Please, don't let it be an Akuma. Please don't let it be an Akuma. Please don't let it be an Akuma."

Unfortunately for Adrien, his pleas weren't answered. The two saw Dark Cupid flying above some booths and firing arrows at the various people trying to enjoy the festivities. When his shots hit someone, their lips gained some black lipstick, and they suddenly seemed to become jerks.