Step Your Game Up

With a tired yawn, a fully dressed-for-school Nate is knocking on Marinette's door for what feels like the third time this morning.

"Come on, Marinette. I'm usually the one that hates being woken up between us." Nate sighs as he continues knocking until finally, Marinette opens the door... with baggy eyes while still in her pajamas.

"Woah. You look terrible. What were you doing all night? I thought your mom took away all your sowing stuff?" Nate asks as he steps back in shock at Marinette's appearance.

"I-I was thinking about something last night, and it kept me up." Marinette still has enough energy to blush in embarrassment.

Nate raises an eyebrow before deciding to put it off until they walk to school.

"Alright. I'll be waiting downstairs for when you're ready." Nate tells her before walking off.

Marinette nods before closing the door and yawning as she heads to her closet. She soon walks out in her ladybug-themed jacket, a short-sleeve white shirt with a pink flower branch, light blue jeans, and pink flats.

As she's getting her stuff for school, she's thinking back to last night and Canine's suggestion. She then thinks about last night and how the question kept her up.

"Maybe I should stop trying to learn more about my ancestor until Hawkmoth is defeated. After all, we have an extra person now. It might make defeating him easier. And protecting Paris is the most important thing right now." Marinette thinks as she checks her bag to make sure everything is inside.

She's afraid to go too far into her family's past with everything going on. They were lucky Barkk chose someone who would help them. But there's no telling what could happen next time they try to open the box or what she might find while investigating her family. She's worried she might accidentally make the situation worse somehow.

"I might talk to the others about this later," Marinette tells herself before going to her bathroom to finish getting ready.

After a short while, she walks into the lobby to see a waiting Nate tapping his foot on the ground impatiently.

"Sorry, it took me so long." Marinette apologizes while Nate shrugs.

The two head to school, and as they walk, Nate asks.

"So, what kept you up last night? Have you figured out how to tell our parents we're working for Ladybug?" Nate asks her.

"Maybe. I'm worried they'll ask me and Ladybug to be in the same place. I think I can make a convincing copy of myself using my powers. But that's not what's on my mind now." Marinette tells him truthfully.

"What else has happened while I've been locked in my room?" Nate asks her, though, not wanting the answer.

"Well, Barkk chose someone our age, and she's helping us fight against Hawkmoth. So, that's good. But." Marinette then explains to Nate about last night's meeting and Canine's suggestion.

"Why didn't we ever think of that?" Nate questions while facepalming.

"I'm worried, though. I'm not sure I want to pry into my family's history anymore. What if we find something that could cause things to get worse?" Marinette asks him.

Nate winches when he hears that and can see Marinette's point.

"I do not know how to answer you. I honestly am not sure at this point. Maybe you can test your luck after getting everything else handled. I'd rather you focus on getting us out of trouble with our parents." Nate tells her honestly.

This time, it's Marinette's turn to winch at the reminder that Nate is in as much trouble as she is.

"Sorry. I promise I'm trying. I just need to figure out the best way to introduce them to Ladybug." Marinette immediately apologizes to him while explaining what she's waiting for.