Chapter 1: FREEDOM

Three Years Ago

Located in the Tsukiji district of Chuo in Tokyo, St Luke's International hospital is one of central Tokyo's largest and most comprehensive medical care facilities. In a certain room, a woman was on life support. She was the only person in this room because it was specifically reserved for patients in critical condition. Why was she in there in the first place? Lung cancer. Four doctors were surrounding the bed, looking over the helpless patient as they discussed their options.

Doctor #1: "I don't understand, the treatment should've worked for her." Doctor #1 was a tall blonde man, while doctors #2 and #3 were young students, hoping for a future in the medical profession. Doctor #4 was a middle-aged and dark-skinned woman, someone with twenty years of experience.    

Doctor #2: "What are we supposed to say to her son?"

Doctor #4: "In situations like this, it's best to just be honest with people. You can't save everyone, and her condition was a lot to deal with over the years. The last thing her son would want is for us to lie to him, he sadly doesn't have anyone else to rely on."

Doctor #3: "That's terrible! Isn't his father around!?"

Doctor #1: "Not that we know of. It's possible that his father either died prior to all this... or he was never in the picture to begin with."

In the hallway, there was a sixteen-year-old boy, waiting for the doctors to come out of his mother's room with some good news. This boy was wearing a school uniform without the blazer, he was in school when he got the call that his mother was taken into hospital. He had been hoping for months that his mother's cancer wasn't that bad since she wasn't a smoker, but things just kept getting worse over time. He worried about her every single day, and prayed that she wouldn't leave him alone in this world.

Doctor #4: "Hey, kid. Sorry that it took so long, but I'm afraid I've got some bad news. Her condition is at a point where normal treatment wouldn't be able to help her, I'm so sorry... I don't believe she'll survive the night." Saying that he was heartbroken would be an understatement, he was on the verge of tears. "She's awake, you can go see her now."

????: "T-Thank you." The young student stood up and began walking to his mother's room, trying to prevent the tears from coming. He felt like he was losing the only person that cares about him, his mother meant the world to him. Ever since his father cheated on her and left them, the student and his mother were forced to endure the pain together. Once he made it to the room's door, he placed his forehead on the door and felt his world falling apart. 'This isn't fair, why does she have to suffer like this?' Not wanting to waste any more time, the student opened the door and entered the room, seeing his mother in bed, connected to life support. Prior to the student's arrival at the hospital, his mother did have a morphine drip attached to her, which would help deal with the pain, but the doctors had to remove it in order to put her on life support.

Once the student was sitting next to her bed, his mother looked to her right and saw him by her side, which caused her to smile. The mother's name was written on a clipboard, located at the foot of the bed. Along with her name, it showed her blood type, illness, and most importantly, the details about her cancer. Her name was Akito Hinata.

Akito: "Hajime, sweetie... you're here."

Hajime: "Of course I'm here. Why wouldn't I be?"

Akito: "You should be in school, we both know how important it is for you to be a great student."

Hajime: "I know, but I refuse to leave your side at a time like this."

Akito: "It's okay... I wanted to see you anyway."

Hajime: "The doctors told me about your condition, and there's nothing they can do. They don't... think you'll make it." Hajime was starting to cry, finally letting his emotions out in front of his mother.