Chapter 32: INFINITY UNLIMITED FLAME

Killing School Trip

Things have gotten pretty bad as the group continued to waste away inside the Funhouse, it's not like they were able to leave anyway. After the Fourth Island was opened to the group, the remaining survivors searched for the ship parts and Future Foundation information that Monokuma promised them. He lied about the ship parts, but provided the Future Foundation information once everyone rode the rollercoaster together. Once Hajime thought about what could be in the Funhouse, he suggested they all go there, and that ended with them all being knocked out and taken to the Funhouse.

Once inside, Monokuma made sure to tell the survivors that nobody was allowed to leave... unless the next killing happened. Not only that, but they weren't allowed to eat anything until someone gave in and took a life. At this point in time, Byakuya, Teruteru, Hiyoko, Ibuki, Mahiru, Peko, and Mikan were either executed or murdered, which left Hajime, Nagito, Chiaki, Akane, Nekomaru, Kazuichi, Sonia, Gundham, and Fuyuhiko.

Hajime: 'Hm? He doesn't seem like his usual self.' Right now, Hajime was on the third floor of Strawberry House, standing face to face with Gundham Tanaka. This part of the Funhouse was the equivalent of an outdoor park, one where kids would be playing at. Gundham liked coming up here because the flowers on display provided seeds for his hamsters to eat.

Gundham: "Why do you keep following me? In truth, there's no way I'd ever associate with someone like you. But still, why do you continue to hound me!? Does this mean my absolute mental defences are wearing off?"

Hajime: "I don't know what you think this is, but we're friends who are working together to escape-"

Gundham: "Gah!" He seized up all of a sudden, like being called a friend struck a cord with him. "S-Settle down... my wicked arm! Are you... a kotodama user!? You wish to manipulate me with false words and cheap tricks, don't you!?" While yelling, Gundham continued to grasp his left arm, the one that was covered in bandages.

Hajime: "I'm not trying to manipulate you at all. In fact, you're the one who said I'm just a mere human with no abilities whatsoever."

Gundham: "..."

Hajime: "..."

Gundham: "You wouldn't understand... I'm in isolation for a reason. There will never be a day when you understand why I became who I am! I'm the offspring of a demon and a human, a cursed being shunned and rejected by everything in this world! Once I lose the only thing I love, I'm destined to spend my last days being devoured by demon beasts! Truly I am mankind's natural foe! Evil Incarnate! A walking cataclysm! A shapeless insanity! GUNDHAM TANAKA!!!" He sounds like his normal self, but there's definitely something different about him. There might be a kernel of truth hidden in the words he just spoke.

Hajime: "It's true, I don't know anything about what drove you to this point. But... I definitely believe that you're my friend. If I didn't think that, I wouldn't be able to go on. That's it, that's the only reason. As long as you're my friend, I have no desire to take anything away from you and try to force you to change."

Gundham: "..." He was speechless, Hajime spent all this time talking to him, and didn't think to take advantage of the position he puts Gundham in every time they speak to each other. "It seems that... I completely misread you. I never expected a human like you to contain a singularity."

Hajime: 'Huh? Have I been promoted from a mere human?'

Gundham: "You asked me the other day about what sort of existence would be capable of touching me, the answer to that... is the singularity. A being who can make the impossible possible... by overcoming various limitations."