Chapter 14: WHATEVER COMES NEXT

Hajime: "You didn't knock me out."

Nagito: "Mhm."

Hajime: "You didn't tie me up."

Nagito: "Okay."

Hajime: "You definitely didn't plan on threatening my life."

Nagito: "Of course not, why is this important again?"

Hajime: "If they find out you tried to hurt me... they'll most likely tear you apart."

Nagito: "Fair enough." The two of them had just emerged from their 'interrogation' room, the office that was in the hotel's secondary building, the old building where the first murder took place. After cleaning the air and establishing how Nagito would explain what happened, Hajime fell silent. Looking back at what had transpired within his own mind left him puzzled.

He was now greatly confused. It had seemed at least when talking to Nagito that he and Izuru were separate from each other, but he could distinctly recall a short conversation he had with Kazuichi a while back that would say otherwise. He asked if Hajime still had a bit of Izuru in him, and that made him uncomfortable while he admitted that he and Izuru were one in the same.

Nagito: "Are you all right?" Nagito asked him, having seen his eyes go wide.

Hajime drew in a deep breath before looking back at him, with a clearly fake smile. The two kept walking and were now close to where all their friends were locked away. As the two of them walked towards the building, Hajime stopped when he saw that the left door was missing. Nagito stopped as well, a few steps behind him. Hajime broke into a sprint, leaving Nagito behind. He stopped at the door and peeked his head inside, the missing door was there, off its hinges and placed against the wall.

Hajime: "Guys? Are you in here?" He said quietly, the rest of the room was dark, barely illuminated by the light coming from the capsules. He stood there, still leaning in halfway. Behind him, he could hear Nagito finally catching up and stopping behind him. He copied him, leaning in at the same angle, his head barely able to look past Hajime's.

Nagito: "Hello?" Nagito spoke normally, his voice easily carried by the room's acoustics. In the darkness of the control room, a gasp was heard, followed by a grunt. Along with all of that, Hajime could hear a light whirling sound. His eyebrows shot up, realizing that something had been thrown.

Hajime: "Ah!" Hajime was hit in the face by a flying wrench, the small tool had appeared out of nowhere, catching him by surprise.

Akane: "Hajime?" Akane's voice came from out of the darkness with a surprised tone. At that moment, the lights came on. Huddled together were the two girls and Fuyuhiko, with Kazuichi across the room controlling the lights. They all gasped as they saw Hajime sprawled out on the floor while Nagito stood there, scratching his head.

Nagito: "I think you knocked him out. Izuru, can you hear me?" Nagito kneeled down and poked the back of his head, with no response in return. Flipping him off his stomach, he laughed at the large red mark left on the centre of Hajime's forehand.

Akane: "Don't touch him! That was supposed to be you!" He turned to look at Akane, who was now struggling to stand up. She used Sonia to help support her left side, her left ankle in too much pain to stand on. Her left hand hung down lifelessly and her right held another wrench, larger and heavier than the last. Without warning, she let the tool fly, aiming for whatever part of Nagito she could hit. He threw his body back out the door, narrowly avoiding being hit.

Sonia: "Kazuichi, can you- "

Kazuichi: "I'm on it." He interrupted Sonia and quickly walked towards his unconscious friend. "Back up, man." He pointed at Nagito, who raised his arm in the air in response to Kazuichi's demand. Without taking his eyes away from his, Kazuichi dragged Hajime to the nearest capsule and sat him up against it. Hajime's head immediately fell over to his right, causing him to fall over. His head hit the ground with a heavy thud. "Aw, dammit... sorry about that."

Fuyuhiko: "If he had hidden the tools better, this wouldn't've happened." Fuyuhiko laughed, somehow finding a way to blame Hajime for what happened to himself.

===========Timeskip===========

Kazuichi: "Sorry... but I gotta do this." Kazuichi was adjusting the lock on Nagito's cottage, so that it could be locked from the outside. This was something that they had agreed on doing without Hajime's opinion, at least until further notice.

Nagito: "It's all right, I understand." He was sitting on his bed watching him work, waiting for him to be done so he could sleep. With all that has happened, it was surprisingly still very dark outside.

Kazuichi: "When Hajime wakes up, if he says so, I'll change the lock back. Someone will come by in the morning and let you out, until then..." Kazuichi cut himself off by shutting the door and locking it. He shuddered shortly after, his nervousness letting itself out. Even though doing this seemed a little excessive, Kazuichi didn't believe that it wasn't necessary. After everything Nagito put the group through, he and the others need to prepare for whatever comes next.

Fuyuhiko: "Hey, Kazuichi, help me out over here." Fuyuhiko caught his attention, asking for help in carrying Hajime's limp body. He walked over without question, taking his friend's free arm and slinging it over his shoulder. "All right... let's go."

Kazuichi: "Wait, his room is this way."

Fuyuhiko: "Akane wants him in her room."

Kazuichi: "Huh!?"

Fuyuhiko: "come on, man, I don't feel like arguing about this." The two brought Hajime to Akane's cottage and then stopped again before heading inside.

Kazuichi: "Where do we put him?"

Fuyuhiko: "On the bed, you idiot. What would you rather do, leave him on the floor? Maybe we should leave the door open while we're at it?"

Hajime: "My head hurts..." Hajime mumbled under his breath and in his still unconscious state.

Fuyuhiko: "I know it does, buddy. But we're going to put you on the hard ground, because grandpa Kazuichi here can't stand the idea of you lying in bed with a girl." Fuyuhiko was talking sarcastically, with a tone you might use when speaking to a child. Kazuichi couldn't help but laugh as he complied with setting him on the bed. "Go and help Sonia, she's still helping Akane walk over here, I'm going to bed."

Kazuichi: "Aye, aye, sir!" Kazuichi straightened his posture, saluting Fuyuhiko as he stood there with an even more irritated look on his face.

Hajime: "My head hurts..." Hajime grunted this time, rolling over on the bed so he was on his stomach.

Kazuichi: "Sorry." Fuyuhiko shot his bright-haired friend one last glare before quickly leaving, in a hurry to get some sleep.