Chapter 21: TRUTH HURTS

Hajime: "As the first, I believe there might be something you can help me with."

Nagito: "Anything at all, I'm happy to help." Hajime stood near Nagito, the two of them a modest distance away from the others as they gathered around Mahiru. There was an odd vibe surrounding them, Fuyuhiko and Kazuichi were completely silent, the mechanic looking away from the photographer entirely. 

Hajime: "You remember your life before the island, don't you?"

Nagito: "Oh, of course. I mean, it was a bit confusing at first, but it all eventually came back to me. That's part of why I agreed... you know? To not kill any of you. All of us were working together nicely out there, but maybe... nicely isn't the best way to put it." Hajime nudged his arm with his elbow, silencing him before he switched on his autopilot. And he was quiet for a bit, before he made a noise that showed his curiosity on something. "Looks like it's coming back to her now." He gestured towards Mahiru, who had a visible look of shock on her face. Hajime took note, easily spotting the sudden change in her demeanour, excusing himself before walking over towards her direction. She took notice of his presence, her gaze jumping to him as he walked past her and the others, and into the storage room.

Besides her, the only other person to notice him enter the storage room was Kazuichi, who quickly fell into a panic. He sprung into action, knowing what Hajime was going in there for, and knowing that he wouldn't find it. He stepped through the threshold of the storage room and froze. Much to his surprise, Hajime was standing there with the camera in his hands, an odd look appeared on his face.

Hajime: "This is why you've been acting so distant, right?"

Kazuichi: "Y-You've seen what's on there?"

Hajime: "Mhm, here. Take it and hide it on you, give it to her when you think the time is right." Without objection, he placed the device into Kazuichi's hands, telling him also that this would help him regain his peace of mind. He moved past him after that, re-joining the others.

Left alone, the mechanic let out a low grumble, squeezing the camera in his hands. He wanted more than anything to just walk out there right now and shove the camera into her hands. But he knew it wouldn't be right to bring this up around the others. At least, that's what he figured Hajime meant by 'when the time is right'.

He ended up snatching the beanie off his head and wrapping the camera inside. Quickly and quietly, he left the storage room and went straight for the main doors that lead outside. His now lumpy headwear pressed to his hip by his right hand.

===========Timeskip===========

Hajime had spent a good amount of time explaining to Mahiru what happened after she was murdered in the killing game. She felt indifferent about it all, the killings did continue after hers, but it wasn't like they were dead. What finally received a reaction from her though... was what came at the end of it all.

It was now known to her that for the second time, Junko Enoshima had fallen. Their de facto leader, epicentre of despair, was wiped away once again. Mahiru didn't know what exactly she thought about that.

She was glad, and angry, even a bit sad. The last two emotions felt wrong, but they couldn't help being there. Even Hajime knew that she would have some sort of remorse for her, having been under her thumb for as long as she had been.

Hajime: "Now we're free to live our lives."

That was his reasoning for telling her all of this, to install in her that their future belongs to them, and they were hopeful. After that, he wasted no time in saying that he wished for her to join them in this new life, therefore giving her a choice in the matter. It was concerning to think what may happen if she had said no, but she quickly tossed the thought aside, mindlessly nodding her head at him in agreement.

He didn't say anything after that, sitting across from her silently, hands fiddling with a half empty teacup. He stopped moving when her look drifted up, before slowly dragging to the sides and then back down.

Mahiru: "My camera... where's my camera!?" She instantly came to life, startling Hajime slightly. Her eyes bulged as she shouted, her arms and legs pushing herself up as she tried to slow her hitched breaths.

Hajime: "C-Calm down." His iron demeanour seemed to crack at her sudden desire for her device, standing up after her, his hands raised halfway. He gulped, forcing a lump down his throat, clearing his throat after.

Mahiru: "I'll be okay... hah... I just need my camera!"

Kazuichi: "I was about to give it to you!" Kazuichi's voice rang from the stairs of the restaurant as he climbed them. Hajime and Mahiru looked at him as he stood atop the last step, his chest heaving from nervous breaths. His palms firmly held the camera to his chest, which he shoved out towards the photographer as he quickly approached her. "Get this away from me! I'm sorry, Hajime, but I can't wait anymore." She snatched her belonging from him as the two boys exchanged glances, one understanding, one apologetic.

Mahiru: "No... no... it can't really be like this, can it?" She started viewing the pictures saved onto the camera, one after the other. She wanted to vomit, holding back as her eyes skimmed photo after photo. "It just doesn't feel real." Hajime took a step back, saying nothing, letting the moment play out on its own. All this new information was beginning to be too much for Mahiru, sometimes the truth hurts, and this was no exception. "Stop looking over my shoulder." Mahiru pulled her camera closer to her chest before turning to address Kazuichi.

Kazuichi: "I wasn't. like it matters anyway... I've already seen all of it."

Mahiru: "You have? Then why didn't you delete any of it!?" Hajime flinched when she yelled at Kazuichi, who had done the same.

Kazuichi: "What are you talking about!? Isn't it YOUR rule to not delete photos!?"

She was the next one to flinch, surprised that he shouted at her, more surprised that he of all people remembered her rule. She shook her head, not giving him a response, turning back to look at her camera. Mindlessly and with great passionate intent, she began erasing the pictures. Knowing her camera like the back of her hand, she had gotten rid of a fourth of the pictures in a few short seconds.

Neither of the boys said anything as she did so, no objections nor affirmations. All of them remained silent, the only sounds that were loud enough to hear were the ones she made operating her machine.

Hajime: 'At least she wasn't as much trouble as Nagito.' Hajime thought as he laid his head down on the table. He had planned to wake up someone else later, so he was glad Mahiru didn't cause him much trouble. Hopefully, things would stay this simple. However, when he thought about those who were still to come, he couldn't help but imagine things becoming more complicated.

Mahiru Koizumi (Ultimate Photographer) ALIVE