Chapter 20: ANTICIPATION

Akane: "Come on! It's not right if you don't hit me back!"

Hajime: "Sorry, I think I'll just stay down here for a bit."

In his current bout of sparring with Akane, Hajime had taken a blow to the chest during a lapse in his focus. Apparently, Akane asked Hajime to be her sparring partner while he was with Nagito, since he was able to hold his own during their previous fight. His thoughts were currently on what was to happen later in the day, when he would attempt to wake one of his comatose friends. He still wasn't one hundred percent sure about what to do, but maybe the solution will just pop into his head while he's working on it.

Akane: "Get up, we just started!" She lifted him off the ground by his shoulders, placing him back onto his feet before taking a few steps away. His head was pointing to the ground as he was wading through his thoughts, so he didn't see it when Akane charged at him again. As quickly as the last time, she took him down. She swept him by the legs, and he was on the ground yet again. "Fight back, Hajime! You promised you'd be my sparring partner, remember?"

He let out a loud sigh, remembering exactly when the words 'I promise' had left his mouth yesterday. Looking at her, he shuddered inside, seeing her look at him disappointingly as she stood over him again.

Hajime: "I did promise you that... sorry, I guess I just can't get my mind off today's plans." That was all he needed to get her to sympathize with him. She let out her own flat sigh before extending her arm and offering her hand, lifting him off the ground again. Before he could say another word, she pulls him into a hug. Much to his surprise, he couldn't help but get flustered... but he was happy. This moment was nice for both of them, but it had to end sooner or later. What Hajime didn't see coming was the moment ending because of the one hugging him, Akane moved one of her legs behind him and then proceeded to push him over, making him fall onto the sand. But she didn't let him go, Akane fell along with him. "Ow! What was that?"

She didn't say a word, they were just staring at each other. It took a bit to realize that Akane was on top of him, but it became very clear once Akane sat up... placing herself on his lap. Hajime's face was turning bright red, he didn't understand what was going on at all. Instead of talking, Akane leaned down and placed a gentle kiss on his forehead. But that's not all, she then proceeded to lick the same spot she kissed.

Hajime: "W-What are-"

Akane: "What? Was that weird? Sorry, I guess I didn't really believe you. After all, you can tell when a person is lying by... licking their sweat."

Hajime: "You seriously took what Teruteru said to heart!?"

Akane: "Don't get the wrong idea, I wouldn't do this with just anyone. I can't help but think that you're still keeping secrets. Anything you need to talk about, don't hesitate to tell me, okay? We're in this together, just you and me." The exact words he said to her during their confession, Hajime didn't hesitate to sit up and wrap his arms around her, holding her tight while she happily returned the embrace.

Hajime: "All right then... let's go." He said as they began getting back to their feet.

Akane: "Go where?"

Hajime: "I made a promise, right?" Taking Akane by surprise, Hajime proceeded to get into a fighting stance. "Just don't complain when I pull my punches."

===========Timeskip===========

Nagito: "Thirty-four, thirty-five, thirty-six, thirty-seven."

Kazuichi: "Could you stop that? Whatever it is."

Kazuichi had been able to tolerate Nagito's vocalized counting for a few minutes, speaking as his patience wore away. The Ultimate Lucky Student sent him a look along with a full smile, giggling as his lips came together and shut. He stopped speaking, but his counting continued, turning into a slow nodding of his head and taps on the wall he leaned against.