Chapter 11: SMALL TALK

Kazuichi: "So, what are we gonna do now?" The five friends had gathering in the control room after learning about what Nagito did in the kitchen. The question was aimed at Hajime, who, out of the five, would most likely have thought of a solution.

Fuyuhiko: "We stay alert. Other than that, we can't really do anything." Fuyuhiko gave his own answer. Hajime had nothing to add, nodding when Kazuichi looked at him for confirmation.

Sonia: "There is not much we can do, is there?" Sonia questioned why they couldn't do anything to handle the situation.

Hajime: "No, not until we find him, or he reveals himself to us. So, until then, always keep an open eye out. That's probably going to mean less sleep for most of us." Hajime spoke an irritating truth. Because of Nagito, their peaceful lives on the island had to be adjusted for their own safety.

Kazuichi: "Wait!" Kazuichi interrupted, making a few of his friends flinch. "I just had a thought, what'll stop him from breaking into someone's cottage and doing something!?"

Hajime: "Even with one arm, I can't say that'd be out of his realm of capabilities." Presented with another possible safety precaution, Hajime probed his brain for an answer. "It's up to you all, of course, but we could all sleep here... for the time being."

Sonia: "I would feel better knowing you were all nearby." Sonia quickly accepted the proposal.

Akane: "Count me in!" Akane had already made up her mind.

Kazuichi: "Sleep here? Where... on the floor?" Kazuichi wasn't so willing to give up his bed.

Fuyuhiko: "It's all right if you stay in your cottage, it'll just make it easier for him to pick you off." Fuyuhiko teased, an odd amount of sincerity in his tone.

Kazuichi: "No, no, no, fine! I'll stay too!"

Hajime: "So, it's agreed then. Until it is safe to do otherwise, we all sleep here from now on."

The basis of the safety measures is now established, they began padding an extra detail. The night watch would be taken in shifts of two, with one rotation in the middle of the night. Hajime and Fuyuhiko would take the first shift, Akane and Sonia taking the second, with Kazuichi being a replacement for a different person when needed. No more than three people could leave during the day, leaving two people in the building.

Right now, there was no such thing as excessive measures, safety was now the number one priority. Hopefully, no one would end up hurt. Hopefully, Nagito was not planning to hurt someone.

===========Timeskip===========

Night One/ First Shift

Fuyuhiko: "You used that word? Exactly?"

Hajime: "Yeah... I did."

Fuyuhiko and Hajime sat on the floor atop their makeshift beds. The others fell asleep a few hours ago, leaving the two to start their night watch. To pass the time, they made small talk, the current topic being Hajime's confession.

Fuyuhiko: "Since when did you jump from like... to that?"

Hajime: "When I started getting to know her, in there." Hajime pointed at the pods, telling Fuyuhiko all he needed to know. "But everything else came first, of course. Besides, I was still nervous then." His friend couldn't help but smile and congratulate himself, his half-assed idea turned out to be a matchmaking success.

Akane: "Hey!" Akane's body shot up, her attempt at whispering almost turning into yelling. "Mind your own damn business!"

Fuyuhiko: "Go back to sleep." Fuyuhiko spoke back as quietly as possible. "Before the ghosts get ya."