Chapter 18: ADORABLE ASSISTANT

It turned back into business as usual after that day of being lazy. Business as usual being that they were still being lazy, doing nothing until their next friend woke. They were all scattered about, in groups of two coincidentally. Hajime was currently stuck with Nagito, who was rambling on in their one-sided conversation.

Nagito: "Izuru? Izuru!" Nagito waved his stump in his face, knowing now that he was being ignored. Hajime sat there expressionless, his eyes half opened. His head was held up by his left fist, leaning into it with his arm resting on a table. He used the white noise made by the machinery around them to drown out Nagito, but it was starting to give way to his persistence.

Hajime: "What? What is it?" He lost patience, almost yelling at him as he spoke through his teeth. Nagito smiled and laughed after that, then raised his right hand up halfway. He even waved... for whatever reason.

Nagito: "Are you okay? You don't look well."

Hajime: "I'm fine, it's just... boring." Hajime's monotone voice almost made him shiver. Instead of feeling the same as Hajime, Nagito laughed again, pressing his palm against his stomach.

Nagito: "Wouldn't you say that this is anything but? I was planning to kill you after all."

Hajime: "Shut up."

Nagito: "Sorry, sorry. Don't talk like that, I remember." He didn't seem to care, how fitting. It was clear that his will to keep his prior intentions secret wasn't that strong. Eventually, maybe even soon, it would slip. It interested Hajime ever so slightly, thinking about how the others would react. And then the interest disappeared once he concluded that any and every response would be negative in nature. "You look angry." The white-haired boy commented once again, much to Hajime's own disliking. His left hand uncurled, his palm sliding up his head to grasp hard at a clump of hair. He gave Nagito the same emotionless stare, saying nothing, yet saying everything. Nagito smiled plainly, the expression almost as blank as the look he was receiving. "Anything I can do to change that?"

Hajime: "Stop talking."

Nagito: "But I like talking to you." Talking was the wrong word to use, he might as well have been speaking to a brick wall. Maybe he just liked the sound of his own voice. "So, who do you think will be next?"

Hajime: "It doesn't matter."

He looked excited now, a wide grin forming across his face. Hajime mentally kicked himself for setting him off and prepared to listen to him spew nonsense again. But he didn't, surprisingly. He only held his smile and giggled to himself.

Nagito: "I'd like to see someone like Mikan first." At that, Hajime started tuning him out again. Eventually, he did stop talking, once he noticed he wasn't being listened to. A thin vest of silence was now draped over them, waiting to be broken by Nagito once again.

===========Meanwhile===========

Fuyuhiko: "Hey, Kazuichi... hey!"

Kazuichi flinched when Fuyuhiko shouted in his ear. He stopped what he was doing, flinching again when the tool he was using was grabbed out of his hand. He looked up at Fuyuhiko with a confused and disoriented look.

Kazuichi: "I need that..." The mechanic reached for his instrument, only to have it moved further away. Fuyuhiko eyed him sternly as he held the item hostage over his head, watching his friend mindlessly struggle to reclaim it. "Please."

Fuyuhiko: "What's the matter with you?"

Kazuichi: "I need that to tighten this last screw, it's the only one that fits." The pink-haired boy held up a small handheld radio, shaking it slowly while pointing at it with his free hand. The screw he was mentioning even fell out, leaving him wanting the tool back even more.