Chapter 9: JUST YOU & ME

Akane: "Throw a damn punch already!" Hajime had not retaliated against her assault. Rather, he was leading her around the beach as he avoided anything and everything she threw at him. He could see every move she would make beforehand, making it seemingly impossible to touch him.

Hajime: "I won't!" He refused to fight back, Akane quickened her movements after he denied her demand. She felt even more insulted, he was refusing to fight back, and was dodging all her attacks with little to no effort. "I don't want to hurt you!"

Akane: "You already have!" He lost focus, surprised by what she had said. In his state of confusion, she took advantage of his negligence. Her left arm shot out, clasping onto his right shoulder. Pinned, he couldn't get out of the way when her right fist came down on his stomach. She released her grip after contact, and he backed away a few paces to let out a few hoarse coughs. "All this time, you've been ignoring me, and that hurt!"

She bolted at him again and tried sweeping him off his feet. He was still trying to catch his breath, barely managing to hop over her kick and stay on his feet. He was still winded, his breathing brought pain at each inhale.

Hajime: 'I've hurt her already?' He thought as he regained his composure, blocking a punch aimed at his face. She said that he had been avoiding her earlier, and he wouldn't deny that, but he was deeply saddened to hear that she was hurt by it. He would never dream of hurting her in any way, and yet... he already did. He was becoming lost in his thoughts, taking a heavy kick to his ribs. He jumped back to try and gain some space, but she wouldn't let him get away so easily. Again, she blistered him, this time landing a pair of punches on his chest.

He cocked back his right fist, ready to fight back... but he couldn't bring himself to throw a punch. He lowered his arm, taking another hit from her as he did. He needed to think of another way to resolve this. Taking another hit, this time from her knee, he knew that there wasn't one. He finally threw a punch at her, his fist landed on her stomach, with enough force to stun, but not hurt her.

Hajime: "Just let me say what I have to say!" Hajime tried again to reason with her.

Akane: "Shut up and fight!" Akane was beyond reasoning with.

Hajime: 'I'm more afraid than ever.' He readied himself as she charged at him again. They fell back into the same routine, Hajime leading Akane around as he dodged her attacks. However, It wasn't as easy as it seemed. She was making up various attacks, each more complex than the last. Although she wasn't landing many, most only missed by a fraction of a second.

Hajime: "I'm sorry, okay!? I'm sorry!"

Akane: "Sorry for what!?"

Hajime: "For avoiding you all this time, I really do regret it!" Akane grabbed and lifted him by his collar. He let her do it, guessing he would be able to get a few words out if he did.

Akane: "What are you talking about!?" Even in her hands, she did not let up on him. She dragged him to the nearest palm tree, pinning him by his shoulders. His lips parted to answer her question, letting out only air when she kneed him in the gut.

Hajime: "I was... nervous!" He brought his right leg up, pushing his foot against her stomach to push her back. She looked confused now, she ran at him mindlessly, swinging her right fist. He sent out his left hand, catching it. The same happened with her left. They were now face to face, her fists held closer by his hands.

Akane: "Like hell you were!" Unable to hit him, Akane pulled him towards her. He was unable to do anything when she slammed her own head into his. Their foreheads now resting against each other, they were eye to eye. "What would you have to be nervous about!?" He felt a warm line of blood run down his right nostril, his heartbeat resonated loudly in his eardrums. Now was his chance, all he had to do was say it... all he had to do was tell her.