Chapter 26: SIDE EFFECTS

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Chapters 26 and 27 take place at the same time, but through different perspectives. This one will be through Hajime and Nagito's eyes, while the next one will be through Sonia, Akane, Fuyuhiko, Peko, Mahiru, and Kazuichi's eyes.

Kazuichi: "Wait, you're not coming with us? But why?" Kazuichi was curious on why Hajime isn't going to the next island with them, he must have a good reason. 

After getting the barge into the water, Hajime went to the control room, where he would find Nagito snooping around on his own. It turns out that Nagito had a 'lucky hunch' and wanted to check on everyone who were still in their comatose state. Hajime chose to place his trust in Nagito, instead of doubting his intentions. Once Hajime left the control room, he returned to the airfield to retrieve his clothes, the same clothes that Kazuichi threw up on earlier. He planned on going back to his cottage and change into something... you know, cleaner than his current attire. The group planned on exploring the Second Island, the very same island where Nagito accidentally went to during his alone time.

Hajime: "I need a new change of clothes, I can't just walk around shirtless forever." Referring to his vomit-covered shoes and shirt. "While you're over there, I want you to be careful, okay?"

Kazuichi: "Okay."

Hajime headed for his cottage in order to get changed, but he was also wondering what he and the others can do to improve their lifestyle here on Jabberwock Island. Maybe they could make the cottages big enough so that two people can share it, but he wasn't sure if everyone else would be okay with that. He kept thinking as he made it back to his cottage, once inside, Hajime started getting undressed and replacing every piece of clothing with something not smelling like throw up. Hajime couldn't help but sigh as he was now wearing his signature attire again, no longer covered in Kazuichi's stomach contents. His dirty clothes would have to be properly cleaned later, most likely by hand, but Hajime had more important things on his mind.

His next objective was clear, check on Nagito and the rest of his comatose friends, he was secretly hoping that Nagito didn't do anything. He gave the Ultimate Lucky Student the shadow of a doubt, could that have been a mistake?

===========Timeskip===========

Nothing, this is definitely unnatural. No sign of movement since before, not from Mikan, or anyone else. Something needs to be done soon, whether it's Hajime that does something... or even Nagito himself. Maybe pressing the right button would work, but that's a risk not even Nagito was willing to take.

Nagito: "I wonder."

Hajime: "Hey, did anything happen?"

Nagito: "Ah, you're back. No, unfortunately. They've been completely still since you left, but I know I wasn't seeing things when Mikan moved." He was honest, Hajime could tell just by looking at him. "Do you think we should try waking her up? I mean, we'll have to do it eventually, might as well be now." Nagito brings up a good point, as worried as Hajime was, it was something they would have to deal with in the near future.

Hajime: "Yeah, we should do it now." He had to think about it for a bit, about the pros and cons of having Mikan with the group once again. Pros? They'll have an actual nurse, so if anyone got hurt, she could treat them. Cons? She's as crazy as she was before she was executed by Monokuma. "Actually, I want to try something I've been thinking about for a while now."

Nagito: "What is it?"

Hajime: "I want to see if I can get TWO people to wake up at the same time. Since Peko and Mahiru didn't pose a threat, the chances of waking two people up and both of them being hostile are very low."  All Nagito could do in response was smile, it seems that he approved of the idea. Sure, the chances are low, but it's still a possibility. "Do you have any suggestions?"