Heart of Darkness [6]

~ Magic Forest~

Snow White and Bad Wolf walked back into the dwarves' cabin.

The dwarves watched silently as Bad Wolf moved to get herself some food, allowing Snow her space to apologize for her actions.

Snow placed a new mug on the table.

"What is this?" Grumpy asked.

"An apology," Snow admitted.

Happy smiled over at Grumpy.

But Grumpy remained unmoved.

"We don't care about mugs," Grumpy huffed.

"It's the only thing I broke that I could replace," Snow apologized. "I'm sorry,"

Grumpy finally looked up at Snow.

"All I can say is, I'm sorry,"

Grumpy looked over at Bad Wolf, who nodded with a slight smile. He turned back towards Snow "It's you,"

"It's me," Snow said.

The Dwarves laughed in delight and all hugged Snow.

"Oh, welcome back," Happy cheered.

"Thank you," Snow said.

"You can have your old room if you like,"

"Thank you. I can't stay,"

"Where are you going?" Grumpy asked.

"King George took James. I have to get him back,"

"No, Snow. You can't do it,"

"I can't let the King just kill him. He came back for me. It doesn't matter what happens to me now, I have to try,"

"That's not what he meant," Bad Wolf proclaimed as she exited her room, now decked out in her familiar attire with a sword strapped to her belt. "What he meant was, you can't do it alone,"

"But luckily, you won't have to," Grumpy agreed

The Dwarves and Grumpy picked up their pickaxes'.

"Let's show that king what Snow White, the Seven Dwarfs, and Bad Wolf can really do," Bad Wolf smiled as she twirled a gun into her holster.

~ Storybrooke ~

Mary Margaret worked on making the cot in the cell more comfortable and homie.

As she moved the sheet under the mattress, she heard metal clatter on the floor.

Mary Margaret knelt on the floor reached under the bed and noticed it was a key. She looked over at the lock on the cell. Mary Margaret moved the key into the lock and froze when it was a perfect fit, she moved it and it clicked. She swung the cell door open, closing it and locking it back when she heard footsteps approaching, quickly hiding the key in her sweater.

Kayla walked over and handed Mary Margaret a bag and some coffee. "Hey," she smiled softly "Breakfast,"

"Thanks," Mary Margaret said as she took the items.

"I know Mr. Gold doesn't want us to talk," Kayla said "but I thought you should hear this from me. But if Jack asks..." she shook her head "you never heard it from me."

Mary Margaret nodded.

Kayla nodded slowly, releasing a hesitant breath as she moved her hands anxiously "The test results came back on the heart. And the DNA was a match for Kathryn. She's dead." She looked up to view Mary Margaret's reaction, only to see her best friend and roommate just staring sullenly into space "I'm sorry. For a lot of things. But now that they have proof of the death, they have enough evidence to move forward with the case against you. It's gonna happen. I know you didn't do this Mary Margaret." Kayla pleaded. "All this evidence tells me one thing for certain. That you are being framed. And I think Regina's behind it,"

"Then why am I still in here?" Mary Margaret questioned.

"Because I'm not an officer of the law. It has to be Jack or Emma who finds the proof...if I start pointing fingers, things could end up worse for you,"

"Why would she do this to me?"

"I don't know. But I'm gonna find out. And I promise I won't stop until I expose what she's up to,"

"And how are you going to do that? This is her town,"

"You had faith in me, even when we barely knew each other. I ask for that same faith now,"

Mary Margaret touched Kayla's hand "Of course,"

Kayla nodded sadly and stood up to leave.

Once Kayla had left, Mary Margaret looked down at the key.

***

"Mr. Gold?" Kayla voiced as she entered the back of Mr. Gold's store

"Just taking inventory," Mr. Gold said as he moved an oil lamp to the desk. "What can I do for you, Kayla? Any developments in the case I should be aware of?"

"Yes. Regina set her up,"

"And this surprises you? Show me your evidence and we'll get this over with immediately,"

"Yeah, that's the thing, there isn't any. Anything that's court-worthy. But I know it now,"

"Look who's suddenly become a woman of faith." Mr. Gold teased. "Why are you here, Kayla? To spin conspiracy theories?"

"I need help,"

"From me?" Mr. Gold laughed.

"Everyone in this town is afraid of you Mr. Gold, everyone including Regina," Kayla pointed out.

"Everyone, except you. Why is that?"

"Because all I see is a lonely man,"

"Are you willing to go as far as it takes?"

"Through all of time and space if I have to,"

Mr. Gold knew she didn't remember as he still had her fob watch, but still couldn't help but smirk as he saw remnants of the Bad Wolf within the history teacher. "Now we're talking,"