Hat Trick [2]

~ Bad Wolf ~

"The toy cart!" Grace exclaimed as she and her father were in town shopping.

"Come!" the shopkeeper told the girl.

Grace picked up a white rabbit. "Wouldn't this make the perfect guest for our tea parties, Papa? Can I have him? Please?"

Jefferson turned to the shopkeeper "Excuse me, how much for the rabbit?"

"That costs one silver," The Shopkeeper replied.

Jefferson scoffed as he looked at the coins in his hand "Would you take it for eight coppers? That's all I have,"

"Well, you are a good father. Your last coppers for your little girl's happiness, huh?" The Shop keeper chuckled.

"Thank you,"

"Oh, I did not say I accept. Alas, I cannot take less than one silver. The economy, you understand?"

Grace looked up at her father "It's okay, Papa. Come on, people are waiting,"

"I will not take no for an answer," Jefferson told the shopkeeper.

"Papa, please. I don't need it,"

Jefferson sighed "Come on, sweetie,"

The Shopkeeper took the white rabbit away and headed over to a mirror.

"Well, that was cruel," The Magic Mirror said. "You could have at least let the girl have her toy.

"Where's the fun in that? Hmm?" The shopkeeper turned back into the Evil Queen.

***

Jefferson snipped a piece of thread, completing the white rabbit. He placed it on one of the empty chairs in front of Grace's tea party. "I know it's not the same as what you wanted,"

"I love it, Papa," Grace smiled. "Thank you," she took a sip of her tea "Mmm! This is good. Don't you think so, Mr. Tortoise?" Grace looked at her father "Papa, do you like your tea?"

Jefferson looked down at the setup "Grace, I want you to go to the neighbors for the rest of the day. There's work I have to do,"

"Can't I come with you? I like being with you in the forest,"

"I'm not going to the forest, sweetie,"

"This has to do with the Queen's visit, doesn't it? Whatever she wants you to do, don't do it!"

Jefferson stood from the table "Grace, I have to. I want you to have what you need,"

"All I need is you, Papa. Please stay,"

Jefferson picked Grace up "Come here. I know. I'm sorry, baby, I have to go,"

"Just promise me you'll come back. You have to promise,"

"Of course,"

"For our tea party. Promise?"

"I promise. I won't miss it for the world," Jefferson kissed the top of Grace's head after fixing her cloak. "Go," He watched as Grace went off towards the well where the neighbors were.

"She's certainly grown," Bad Wolf noted as she watched Grace hug the woman.

Jefferson didn't even bother looking up as he headed towards a covered box.

"Jefferson..." Bad Wolf sighed "Don't do this,"

"You didn't give me much of a choice,"

"No one is holding you at gunpoint, Jefferson," Bad Wolf reminded. She held out the white rabbit from the toy cart "Think about Grace,"

Jefferson swatted the rabbit away "I don't want your pity,"

"It's not pity. It's my repayment for the help you gave me,"

Jefferson looked in Bad Wolf's eyes and sighed "Will I survive?"

Bad Wolf shook her head "You know I can't answer that,"

Jefferson nodded his head as he took out a hat box "That's all the answer I need. Watch over Grace for me?"

"Always and forever,"