True North

Henry was in a convenience store by the comic books. He was flipping through one when a girl, who was roughly Henry's age, approached him.

"Whatcha reading?" The girl asked asked

"The Hulk versus Wolverine," Henry replied

"I'm Ava. I think I've seen you around the school. You're in Miss Blanchard's class, right?"

Henry nodded. Another boy close to their age walked up to Ava.

"Almost ready, Ava?" the boy asked

"This is my brother, Nicholas," Ava introduced

"Hi. come on let's go,"

"You want to come to hang out?"

"Sure!" Henry said. The three went to leave the store but were stopped by the owner.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" Mr. Clark asked "open your bag,"

"What?"

"Don't think I didn't see you rob me. Open your bag,"

"I didn't take anything,"

Mr. Clark took Henry's bag and looked through it. He pulled out a fistful of candy. "And a liar, too,"

Henry looked at Ava and Nicholas "That's why you were talking to me. So your brother could put that stuff in there,"

"Henry...I'm shocked. And you two-just who do you think you are?"

~Magic Forest~

In the forest, a man was hacking at a tree with an ax until he managed to topple it. Gretel and Hansel appeared from behind another tree.

"Ah! A fine specimen. The wood it provides will keep our family's hearth warm this winter," the father proclaimed

"Can't I have an ax?" Gretel asked

"Huh?"

"You did say you wanted me here so I could help,"

"That I did. So, here's your task-take the cart, go fill it with kindling. The drier the better,"

"Okay,"

"And have your brother accompany you,"

"Okay," Gretel picked up the end of the cart and went to leave

"Wait!" The father removed the compass from around his neck and placed it over Gretel's head. "Take this,"

"Your compass?" Gretel asked

"So you don't get lost. A family always needs to be able to find one another,"

"Yeah,"

"Okay. Go. Be safe,"

Hansel and Gretel took the cart and went deeper into the woods.

***

Hansel and Gretel were still collecting kindling for their father. Hansel had a slingshot and was shooting rocks into the forest.

"It's getting late. We should go," Gretel took Hansel's slingshot.

"Hey! Give it back." Hansel argued "Come on, Gretel! Give it back,"

"No, Hansel. We need to get back to Father,"

"Fine,"

"Follow me," Gretel led them to the area where their father was cutting down trees. However, there was no one there. "This is where we left him,"