The Stable Boy

"Kayla, hey." David greeted as Kayla walked out of Granny's diner.

Kayla shook her head as she tried to walk by the man. "I don't have time for this,"

"No, no, I understand. It's Mary Margaret. How's she doing?"

"How do you think she's doing?" Kalya snapped as she glared at David.

"Well, I think the last time we spoke, she didn't quite get what I meant,"

"Oh! You mean that you basically told her you thought she might be guilty," Kayla rolled her eyes.

"Look, it's this situation. It's been confusing and horrible for everyone. But Kayla, I don't think she's guilty. I need her to know that. Can I see her?"

"She doesn't want visitors," Harkness said as he walked up to save Kayla from the awkward situation.

David nodded at the unsaid message. "You mean me. She doesn't want to see me,"

Kayla sighed. "Honestly, David, I'm sure your heart is in the right place. But the last thing she needs right now is words of encouragement from you,"

Jack began to lead Kayla away from the diner.

"What does she need?" David asked.

"A miracle," Kayla called back.

***

"A pre-trial interview with the prosecution?" Emma asked Regina as Kayla, and Jack walked into the station. "Explain to me how that is a good idea,"

"Maybe you should go," Jack told Kayla.

Kayla shook her head. "I promised Mary Margaret I would be by her side at all times,"

"The DA merely wishes to ask Ms. Blanchard a few questions," Mr. Gold reasoned.

"She's done answering questions," Kayla argued. "And why are we kissing up to the DA? Why aren't we going after Regina? She's the one who's setting up Mary Margaret,"

"And what proof do we have of that, Miss Smith?" Mr. Gold challenged.

Kayla opened her mouth only to close it quickly.

"Just because you found the Mayor's skeleton key in the cell doesn't mean we can prove she put it there,"

"So, what's your plan?" Emma voiced.

"I believe our best chance of winning this case is to employ our most valuable asset,"

"What's that?" Mary Margaret asked.

"Well, that's you, dear. A sweet, kind elementary school teacher. Doesn't exactly fit the prototype of a killer, now, does it?"

"That's how you're gonna get her acquitted?" Emma challenged. "By using her personality?"

"Perception is everything, Ms. Swan, not just in a courtroom, but in life,"

Kayla looked confused when Mr. Gold looked her way as he said those words.

"As such, I'm sure you can imagine how the jury would perceive Ms. Blanchard if she agreed to cooperate with the District Attorney. These things engender trust,"

"Emma?" Sydney called out as he came into the station. "I'm sorry to interrupt. I just came by to drop these off," he held up a vase of flowers. "I thought they might brighten the place up,"

Kayla raised an eyebrow as Jack left her side to follow Emma into the sheriff's office.

"I'm gonna do it," Mary Margaret told her friend. "I'm gonna talk to the DA,"

Kayla turned away from whatever was going on at the sheriff's office and back to her friend. "Are you sure?"

"Mr. Gold's right. I know I have nothing to hide. But no one else does...except you. I need to let people see me for who I am,"

"Excellent decision, Ms. Blanchard," A male voice said.

"Busy day in the office, apparently," Jack muttered as he left Emma's office.

"My name is Spencer," The gentleman explained. "I'm the District Attorney. Shall we begin?"

Kayla couldn't help but scowl as she saw Regina standing behind the District Attorney.

"Yeah," Mary Margaret nodded.

***

"After she learned about your affair, Mrs. Nolan," Mr. Spencer said in the interrogation room, "the deceased came to your school to confront you. Is that correct?"

"She was hurt." Mary Margaret nodded. "She felt betrayed,"

"She struck you. In the face, was it?"

"Yes. But..."

"That must have made you angry,"

"You don't have to answer that," Mr. Gold reasoned as he sat beside Mary Margaret.

"No, it's okay," Mary Margaret said. "I was not angry. I was sorry for all the pain I had caused her,"

Mr. Spencer scoffed. "Ms. Blanchard, this is not a courtroom. I'm not here to judge you. You can be honest with me,"

"Shall we end this?" Mr. Gold asked.

"I am being honest with you," Mary Margaret assured.

"The wife of the man you loved humiliated you in a public forum. Surely you must have felt some anger towards Kathryn," Mr. Spencer said.

"Yes, I was angry,"

"And did you ever think about acting upon that anger?"

"Of course not,"

"I have a hard time believing that,"

"Why?"

"Because you wanted Kathryn Nolan gone,"

"I never said that,"

Mr. Gold stood up. "All right, my client is answering no more questions for the day,"

"Your client agreed to this interview," Mr. Spencer argued. "Because she claimed she had nothing to hide,"

"I don't have anything to hide," Mary Margaret exclaimed.

"Then what is your answer? You wanted Kathryn gone, didn't you?"

"No,"

"Even after she tried to keep you and David apart? After she slapped you in public? After she made you a pariah in your town?" Mr. Spencer showed Mary Margaret a picture of her car.

"Yes, of course, I wanted her gone!" Mary Margaret cried. "She was the only thing keeping us apart. So yeah, I wanted her gone. Is that what you want to hear?"