The Stormy Island Mystery PT I

[A/N: Lumine finally sees Xiao's true form. A strange chain of circumstances alerts them to the odd things going on at Seirei Island.]

........................................................................

The light of dawn cast its glow of pastel hues of pinks, golds, and violets that April morning. it had been a few weeks and time had flown by for Lumine, Xiao, and even their glutton companion, Paimon. Their wedding plans were finalized and they had informed Zhongli on the matter in the serenitea pot. Across the Kamisato Clan's estate the soldiers and staff hurried about as usual. Ayato and Ayaka hurrying off to handle matters in their schedules. 

Meanwhile inside the suite nestled snuggling under the covers was the young blonde traveler. The plush violet quilt rising and falling with each slow slumbering breath. The faint scars from her ordeals with the Vision Hunt Decree, her near death experience during Moonchase, and her fight against the Fatui hard to notice. But they were there as a gentle hand reached out to caress her shoulder then trace up the finger tips until the hand came to stroke her cheek.

"Lumi~?"came a soft purr in her ear stirring her into the waking world. 

"Hm...?"Lumine glanced over with bleary eyes to be greeted with that soft smile Xiao often reserved for her. "Morning."she mumbled slowly sitting up. 

"Did you sleep well?"he asked as she stretched her stiff limbs. 

"Well enough. Did you just get back?"she asked. Lumine walked over to where her clothes had been left by the staff, fresh and cleaned. Grabbing them as she vanished behind the folding screen to change.

"We leave in two days. But before we do there's something I want to show you."Xiao informed smoothly making Lumine curiously peer from around the corner of the screen. 

"Ooo~! A surprise? Paimon wants to see too."giggled the fairy as she appeared in starlight.

"I'm curious too."Lumine admitted. Soon she came out as she was adjust her hairpin in her hair. "Now what did you want to show me, Xiao?"she pondered taking the hand Xiao had offered her. Slowly he lead her outside and down into the glowing forest with their fairy friend not far behind. With care he let go making her confused as Xiao stepped back just enough and with a deep breath to ease his anxiety he stood firm as his eyes shot open, pupils narrowed to sharp slits as his tattoo began to glow a brilliant gold. Howling winds of anemo swallowed him to Lumine's shock as she tried hard to keep her dress down with her hands. Paimon squealing as she hanged on for dear life to her friend's scarf. 

Slowly the wind died down and in the yaksha's place stood a huge, beautiful, and majesty predatory bird. Long sharp beak curving to a point at the end while long feathers over each eye could be seen as long like ribbons almost. Sleek, smooth feathers of many shades of golden vermillion cast in the blue light of the forest a sight to behold. His long peacock like tail feathers bore hues of green, black, and violet as the tell tale markings of an adeptus covered his body. Eyes of gold stared right at her as the massive bird adeptus walked over to her, honey amber meeting gold as her reflection mirrored in his gaze that held nothing but love and anxiety.

"This is who I am, Lumine."His voice echoing with a soft but firm trill of a hawk. He looked so unsure and nervous, his feathers ruffling as his beak clacked anxiously. He had been expecting her to be disgusted or frightened; after all the true forms of his tribe were never something as tame as a qilin or cranes or deer. They had always been that of predatory animals and many mortals found it frightening to see a bird as huge as he was. But he was amazed when he felt Lumine's gentle hands reach up to stroke him around his head. He felt so soft and smooth as her eyes lit a light with delighted amazement. "Your...Y-your not frightened?"he asked.

"My silly yaksha, why would I be when I already accepted everything you are karma and all? I'm delighted you finally showed me this side of you."she smiled in her characteristic star shatter grin. Xiao happily nuzzled her with a coo, making her giggle.

"Dwah ok, that's cute."giggled Paimon.

To Lumine surprise he gestured for her to get on his back, which confused her but she complied. "Hang on to me and don't' let go, Lumine. Let me show you the world, the way the adepti see it from the heavens."he informed swiftly. 

"Paimon you better go into your pocket dimension for now or go see if Thoma wants help in the kitchen. I really would like to spend time alone with Xiao."Lumine insisted.

"Yeah, yeah Paimon gets it. Yeash...love birds."Paimon teased before flying off to go help Thoma. Lumine mouthing a thank you to her friend.

"Alright, I won't let go."

With a pleased hum he spread his wings and took to the skies Lumine holding on for dear life. The sensation sent a primal thrill as she laughed in sheer joy. oh how she missed this sensation of the air in her face and the rush flying brought. Gliding was fine but it didn't bring this overwhelming desire and freedom true flight gave. Her laughter in Xiao's ears like a beautiful melody as he smooth out to lazily glide on an updraft. 

"This is amazing Xiao!!"she cried in delight. "I haven't felt like this in a long time!"

Those words sent a thrill into his heart and soul but it made him wonder. "Does Lumine know what its like to fly?"he wondered. Did that dragon from lord Barbatos's nation of freedom let her ride on his back? He wasn't sure. But some how his intuition told him it might be another reason he did not know yet. But let out a pleased hawk-like screech as he sped up a little as he flew south from Narukami Island. But it seemed no matter the speed he so carefully set she was relishing this. Deciding to change things up he prepared to go into stoop when suddenly he was alerted to an electrifying prickle going over their bodies. "Balethunder!? Here?"he thought in surprise. No this felt far more sinister...the malice of a god that had been caged and slain. The air was thick with it even cause the balethunder!

"X-Xiao...."Xiao looked over his shoulder and saw lumine was in a lot of pain. Actually he could feel her distress. "My head...it hurts..."

"Lumine! Hang on I'll get you away from here."he cried swiftly flying away from the effected area. He kept going until he came to land dodging bolts of lighting as he went. lumine hanging in fright and pain from the over abundance of electro charging the air. Once he found a safe area he landed changing as he did back to his human form, setting Lumine carefully down. The poor blonde by now clutching her head. Let out a frightened squeak from the crash of thunder over their heads. He hadn't seen her get headaches like this in a long time. But as they both looked around they saw a barrier protected by seals. 

What is this place?

To Be Continued....