Saiguu's Sacrifice

[A/N: Xiaolumi learn more of not only Ei's past but the grief she has carried all this time. And I'm going to go drown my sorrows in ten buckets of ice cream cause Ei's part 2 of her story quest was such a mood. Other then that I'm very excited to start writing Chasm Arc's rough draft and I hope you enjoy the song for Ei & Saiguu.]

....................................

The laughter and cheer through the streets the May afternoon were a welcomed one as the Irodori Festival was just a few days away now. It was Inazuma's most treasured cultural event they had learned as Ayaka and Ayato were working over time. But there was one pair that was not celebrating as they should be on their honeymoon. Concern covered their faces as they left the Adventurers' Guild, Lumine and Xiao deep in thought as they left the city for Araumi, Narukami. Xiao's keen senses easily had had detected the rifthounds and whelps. They were not far from the grave of their friends' companion's grave. The beasts snarling as they gnawed and scratched at the sakura tree's roots.

"Oi! Mangy mutts get away from those roots!"snapped Lumine bolting forward with a streak of electro. Xiao moving beside her with equal speed. The beasts yelping in agony as blades of jade easily pierced through them. The pack's leader snarling and snapping its sharp teeth at them. But more just kept on coming, alarmingly so at just how big this pack was. 

"How the hell did so many of these corrupted fiends from the abyss get here?"spat Xiao ducking the swipe from the rifthound's paws. He couldn't afford to let them land a hit. These beasts fangs and claws seem to have some kind of weird substance that prevent wounds from properly clotting. Eventually they did manage to dwindle the pack down to just a tiny handful. But Lumine had taken a hit, the claw marks on her arm bleeding heavily making it hard for her to keep a grip on her sword. The sight making Xiao put himself between the girls and the wolves the floated closer.

"X-Xiao they're charging!"squeaked Paimon.

"I can see that fool."he hissed getting ready to attack. that is until suddenly a violet streak of lightning bolted forward.

"Torn to oblivion!"

"Eh!?"

The wolves howled in agony as they were vaporized before their eyes. The trio staring in shock at the sight of the familiar violet kimono woman with long violet ombre hair in a loose braid. Her katana slowly being lowered. "Wait is that the Shogun!? No wait it could be Ei maybe?"yelped Paimon in surprise. Lumine allowed her sword to vanish as she clutched her arm that was finally starting to stop bleeding. 

"Lady Beelzebul?"asked Xiao. The way she fought just now was defiantly not the puppet and the way Lumine was a bit more relaxed right now showed this wasn't the puppet that came to their aid. 

At hearing her name Ei turned and for a brief moment was surprised but offered a smile in greeting. "...Oh it's you three. Hello Xiao-san and Lumine-san. You as well Paimon-san."she greeted. "I was not expecting you three to be out here, how's your honeymoon here in Inazuma?"

"It's going good. But an urgent commission from the guild was brought in by the Yashiro Commission. Those damn mutts were attacking the tree's roots."explained Lumine gesturing her blood covered hand over to the injured tree root that oozed a indigo glowing sap.

"Why are you here, Lady Beezebul?"Xiao asked permitting his spear to vanish.

"it does seem to be Ei then...i-it is you right?"stammered Paimon.

"It's her."sighed Lumine, "I'll ask as well. What brings you out from your mediation?"

"I'm making some early preparations for what is to come is all. Last time when we took a stroll around Inazuma before you left for your wedding I had my eyes opened. I witnessed the way the world is today and now I'm finally starting to understand some things I didn't in the past. Since then, these past two months whenever I found myself troubled in my thoughts I would find this urge to step outside into the world."Ei explained casually. Her violet gaze turning to Lumine with a smile. 

After a bit more talk a strange phenomena began to happen before them further ahead after agreeing to team up to handle this matter. Spirits or rather memories from the ley lines began to seep out from the injured roots of the tree. Memories of samurai that had perished during the disaster half a millennia ago. Ei swift to explain the sacred sakura could purify the corruption and filth in the ley lines. Corrupted memory phantoms manifested if not purified while cleansed one appeared like they had just now. But Ei's voice began to crack in grief as the began to talk of the events of the disaster as she talked about her late kitsune friend, Saiguu. 

"....T-Those terrible tragedies left behind great wounds for this land that left scars that are still raw and healing to this day. Both for Inazuma...and me..."croaked Ei choking back a sob. The look in her eyes like a puppy that had been kicked and beaten. It was saddening to see Ei like this as she looked away from the trio.

"Lady Beezebul..."sighed Xiao. "I knew it was bad going by Lord Morax's words but i didn't realize how severe. I'm sorry..."

"D-Don't apologize. All the nations were hit by this tragedy and all of us lost something during that dark time."stated Ei softly. 

"Is this the loss Yae Miko mentioned before?"Lumine asked in concern.

Ei looked away as they continued on their way, looking so hurt and emotionally broken as these old scars were ripped open. Making her clench her arms before slowing to a stop. Desperately fighting the tears that threatened to fall. "...Yes. One of many actually and for the longest time, I couldn't...I could not bring myself to face the pain of this loss. All my martial might, all my skill and experience in battle could do nothing where it counted. I could slay the Tatarigami and slay elemental races gone mad...b-but it was in vain. I was powerless against the ravages of time, helpless to protect those I loved most...."Ei paused taking a deep breath and sigh as she roped back in her crumbling composure. 

"Oh Ei..."whimpered Paimon.

Lumine swiftly went to her side hesitating for a moment before grabbing the Electro archon's hand. It felt strange since this hand belonged to the puppet but inside it was Ei right now. Only a gentle kindness in Lumine's eyes full of understanding and sympathy. For a moment Ei was startled and confused as the faded image of a mysterious cloaked woman robed in white, blue, and gold eyes glowing gold smiled at her. "I-Istaroth-sama!? No I'm imagining things."she thought closing her eyes briefly. And yet...for a moment the traveler looked so much like that ancient goddess.

"Lady Ei, are you alright?"Lumine's concerned voice snapping from her musing she slowly opened her eyes.

"Yes I'll be alright. After everything including our duel last year I realized I can't stay fixated on the past and what can't be brought back."Ei sighed. Swift to summon her katana to continue on their way.

"So your not fixated on the past anymore, Lady Beezebul?"Xiao asked earning a brisk nod from the archon. "Good."

With that they continued on their way but heavy on their minds was as they walked behind Ei Lumine couldn't help but wonder. But she had noticed something as they took out the rifthounds at this next location of the ruins of the teahouse. The lone cherry tree's roots also injured but this one would be a simple one to mend with effort and time. Ei seemed to be not herself and tiring easily. "Ei what is wrong with you...?"Lumine thought. The sight of mist starting to creep out from the wounded roots a signal of what was to come next.

To Be Continued....