11. TO LIFE AND NEW BEGINNINGS.

🦋MIA🦋

Stepping out of the car quickly I burst into a run out of the parking lot and inside the enormous hall, my footsteps thundering down the hallways. This is the third time in a row this week that I'm late for lectures. On most days I have early morning photoshoots before coming to campus which makes me arrive in class late that even the lecturers have noticed. I end up bumping on some students who are also hurrying to their lectures and all I can do is mutter hasty apologies to them as I keep running. Finally getting to class, I throw the door wide open barging inside the room. I'm thirty minutes late and all my classmates are already present except me. I'm the one who always arrives last.

My black high heel ankle boots click clack on the white tiled floor as I hurry to the back since all the front sits are already occupied, the sound of my own heartbeat overwhelming in the silence. Some of the students are now staring at me as I hurry to the back. This isn't a surprise to them since I'm always late.

I guess time isn't always on my side

Taking out my iPad, notebook and pen together with the lemon cake protein bars I carried with me since I haven't had breakfast yet. I sit up ready for the lecture, listening keenly to Mrs. Jacky as she explains in depth the basic concepts of Theory of supply for labour, asking questions in between. She's one of my favourite lecturers and I always look forward to attending her classes. "Ms. Lazano, you're a bit late today." She states trying to be nice because I'm always late. Today, I'm thirty minutes late. "I hope everything is alright."

"I apologize for my tardiness, professor. I had two photoshoots early in the morning, but I'm ready to start the class now."

"No problem. I'm glad you made it. We were just discussing the theory of supply for labour. Let's see if you can catch up quickly. So, Ms. Lazano, what is the theory of supply for labour?"

Shit.

I attended a red carpet event for an award ceremony last night that ended late in the night and once I got back to my apartment after that, I took a shower and went right to sleep. I was overwhelmed with exhaustion and couldn't even pick a book to study for today's classes. In the morning when I woke up and freshened up, Mr. Ezekiel picked me up for two photoshoots for the covers of famous fashion magazines. Now here I am, in class. Having studied this topic ahead of the lecture a few days go, I know I can answer the question. "The theory of supply for labour suggests that individuals make decisions about how much labor to supply in the market based on their own preferences and the wage rate offered by employers. It's influenced by several factors that include individual's skills, education, alternative job opportunities and personal preferences."

Mrs. Jacky's lips curve into a smile full of pride as she gazes at me. "Excellent! You've captured the essence of the theory quite well. Could you elaborate on some of the factors that influence an individual's decision to supply labour?"

Fuck.

I haven't fully grasped the depth of the topic and now I'm at a loss for words. Panic sets in, causing my mind to scramble for a response, but the gears seem to grind at a halt. My mouth opens, but no words emerge, leaving me silently grappling with my thoughts. The weight of the silence intensifies as the seconds tick by and my eyes involuntarily shift to the students around me. Their gazes, once focused on the professor now zero in on me. The room becomes uncomfortably still as time itself slows down to magnify my embarrassment.

In this vulnerable moment, I feel exposed, as if my intellectual shortcomings have been laid bare before the entire class. The weight of judgement hangs heavily in the air and I can practically hear the whispers of doubt and speculation swirling around me. It seems as though everyone is wondering why I can't provide an answer and why I'm struggling when others seem to comprehend effortlessly.