30. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

LUCAS

As I descend the stairs, my feet gently graze each step, creating a soft creaking sound that resonates through the air. The staircase, now lined with a plush, velvety carpet, offers a comforting sensation beneath my feet. Reaching the bottom step, I find myself standing in the familiar space of our living room, adorned with festive decorations. My eyes shift downward, drawn to the Christmas pyjamas I'm wearing. The fabric is soft against my skin, almost like a cozy embrace. The pattern matches my dad and Quincy's pyjamas. Each year without fail, dad insists that we all don these matching pyjamas and today is no exception. They look weird to me though. Don't get me started on the pyjama's vibrant colours that are all over the place. It's almost like someone has poured all the colours of the rainbow onto the fabric. It drives me so fucking crazy but since my dad and sister love them so much, I have no choice but to wear them. All I want is to see them happy and full of joy. They love christmas and look forward to it every year.

Dad always decorates the house, every corner of it. The air is infused with a magical aura and the house is bustling with festive decorations. Everywhere I turn, there are twinkling lights, shimmering ornaments and vibrant colours that bring the Christmas spirit to life. The living room is a winter wonderland, the tree standing tall in the corner and its branches adorned with an assortment of ornaments, each one carefully chosen to reflect our family's memories and traditions. Strings of sparkling lights are cascading from the branches, casting a soft enchanting glow across the room. Underneath the tree, gifts wrapped in colourful paper and ribbons eargely await their recipients.

The fireplace mantel has been transformed into an exquisite display of holiday magic. Festive garlands intertwined with golden ribbons ate cascading gracefully along its length. Stockings, lovingly knitted with each family member's name, are hanging in anticipation of being filled with surprises and treats. A collection of nutcrackers stand proudly, their wooden faces painted with intricate detail, adding a touch of whimsy to the scene. Even the rooms I rarely venture into are not exempt from my dad's creative touch. The hallways are lined with garlands full of pinecones and berries, creating a seamless path of holiday cheer. The bathroom features scented candles and delicate snowflake shaped soaps transforming it into a serene winter sanctuary.

As I stand in the midst of this festive wonderland, Quincy bounds up to me with a mischievous grin. She grabs my shirt pulling me down to her level and placing a fluffy Santa hat on my head. "Merry Christmas, Mr. Grumpy!" She exclaims, her big eyes shining with excitement.

She wraps her arms around me in a loving embrace and holds my hand leading me to the living room where dad is. He's comfortably sitting on an armchair next to the majestic Christmas tree with many presents nestled beneath. The three of us wrapped them together the past two days. "Good morning dad." I sit on the couch leaning back comfortably, Quincy sitting next to him on the floor.

"Good morning Alpha." Dad and Quincy are the only people who call me Alpha. It's an inside family name, a special bond that we share. Mum also used to call me Alpha before she left. Part of me misses hearing it from her.

"Dad and I decorated a gingerbread house." Quincy points at the decorated gingerbread house on the table. It stands tall, its walls made of fragrant gingerbread, golden brown and intricately designed with piped icing patterns. The roof of the gingerbread house is covered in a thick layer of white frosting, resembling freshly fallen snow. I can almost imagine the delicate crunch it'll make when I take a bite. Gum drops of various colours are carefully arranged along the edges, adding a burst of vibrant sweetness.

"It doesn't look good." I joke, taking the opportunity to tease her, even though the gingerbread house is well decorated and looks amazing. In an instant, she darts towards me, her tiny feet pounding the ground with each step. Before I can react, she leaps into the air, launching herself on me like a miniature superhero. Her small frame collides with mine and she rains punches on me as I laugh at her. For a small kid her punches are really painful. "The gingerbread house looks great. It's amazing so now get off me!" I shout to her as she continues punching me and laughing at me.